|Jarl's Residence||The White Hall|
|Military Fort||Fort Dunstad|
The Pale is a hold in northern Skyrim, with its capital in Dawnstar. It is initially affiliated with the Stormcloaks, but can be captured by the Imperial Legion after completing A False Front and The Battle for Fort Dunstad. It can also change sides as part of negotiations during Season Unending.
The Pale is sparsely populated, with safe places for travelers few and far between. The snowy terrain that makes up most of the hold is unsuitable for farming; however, the far southern edge, where not mountainous, is more hospitable.
 Flora and Fauna
Snowberries thrive in the harsh, snow-covered environment, but the sturdy blue and purple variants of the mountain flower can also be found. Along the coast, Nordic barnacles, clams and spiky grass dominate.
- All locations in the Pale with individual map markers are listed. There are a few places without map markers listed for their significance.
- Dawnstar — A city on the northern coast of Skyrim, and the capital of the Pale.
 Farms, Towns, and Settlements including Orc Strongholds and Inns
- Anga's Mill — A small wood mill built along the north bank of the River Yorgrim, west of Windhelm.
- Dawnstar Sanctuary — A disused Dark Brotherhood sanctuary located on the shore of the Sea of Ghosts near Dawnstar.
- Hall of the Vigilant — A secluded lodge south-southwest of Dawnstar, home to the Vigilants of Stendarr.
- Heljarchen HallHF — A piece of property in the Pale, north of Loreius Farm and south of Fort Dunstad.
- Loreius Farm — A small farm in the Pale, north of Whitewatch Tower.
- Nightgate Inn — An inn in a remote region of the Pale.
- The Stumbling Sabrecat — A tavern located within Fort Dunstad in the southern part of the Pale.
 Camps, including Giant Camps and Military Camps
- Blizzard Rest — A giant camp approximately halfway between Dawnstar and Whiterun.
- Pale Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp west of Dawnstar.
- Pale Stormcloak Camp — A Stormcloak camp located in the Pale, on the south shore of Lake Yorgrim, southeast of Bronze Water Cave.
- Red Road Pass — A giant camp south-southwest of Dawnstar and due north of the Hall of the Vigilant.
- Stonehill Bluff — A giant camp located northeast of Volunruud and due west of the Tower of Mzark.
- Tumble Arch Pass — A giant camp located east of Korvanjund and due north of Shearpoint.
- Bronze Water Cave — A one-chamber cave west of Windhelm on the northern shore of Lake Yorgrim.
- Dimhollow CryptDG — A large cave southwest of Dawnstar where Serana is trapped.
- Duskglow Crevice — A small cave east of Fort Dunstad, occupied mainly by Falmer and chaurus.
- Forsaken Cave — A cave located west of Windhelm.
- Shearpoint — A word wall located on a small peak to the north of High Hrothgar, between Fellglow Keep and Irkngthand.
- Blackreach — An immense, naturally lit cavern inhabited by hordes of Falmer and containing the ruins of a Dwemer city.
- Frostmere Crypt — A Nordic ruin south-southwest of Dawnstar and just northeast of the Lord Stone.
- High Gate Ruins — A medium-sized Nordic ruin directly west of Dawnstar, and a short distance east of the Wreck of the Icerunner.
- Hillgrund's Tomb — A small Nordic barrow where the Hillgrund family dead are interred.
- Irkngthand — A large Dwemer ruin located far to the west of Windhelm and south of Lake Yorgrim.
- Korvanjund — A Nordic ruin located northeast of Whiterun.
- Raldbthar — A Dwarven ruin located in the mountains west-southwest of Windhelm, between Lake Yorgrim and the White River.
- Silverdrift Lair — A medium-sized Nordic ruin located east-southeast of Fort Dunstad and northwest of Nightgate Inn.
- Tower of Mzark — An abandoned Dwarven tower located in Blackreach.
- Volunruud — A tomb containing a word wall for the Aura Whisper shout, as well as the treasure and dead body of the Tongue Chieftain Kvenel.
- Windward Ruins — An open-domed Nordic ruin southwest of Dawnstar, inhabited by skeevers.
- Yorgrim Overlook — A small, one-room Nordic ruin on the southern slope of the mountain range directly south of Winterhold.
- Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon — The shrine to the Daedric Prince Mehrunes Dagon, and is located in the mountains to the south of the Pale.
- Fort Dunstad — A large fort occupied by bandits, located south of Dawnstar.
- Nightcaller Temple — A ruin located on the clifftop overlooking Dawnstar.
 Landmarks, including Bodies of Water, Clearings, Ships and Shipwrecks
- Great Lift at Raldbthar — A Dwarven lift to Blackreach located west-southwest of Anga's Mill in the mountains.
- Lake Yorgrim — A lake in the eastern part of the Pale.
- River Yorgrim — A river flowing from Lake Yorgrim to Windhelm.
- Sea of Ghosts — A vast ocean along the northern coast of Skyrim.
- The Sea Squall — A ship docked in Dawnstar.
- Shrouded Grove — A grove with a small cave located in the Pale.
- Weynon Stones — A landmark consisting of a circle of stones. It is located between Korvanjund and Fort Dunstad, just south of the path.
- Wreck Of The Brinehammer — A ship that has run aground, located northwest of Dawnstar, along the shores of the Sea of Ghosts.
- There is one Dragon Mound in the Pale.
- East of the Pale Imperial Camp.
- There is one Shrine in the Pale.
 The Pale Quests
Quests that are started in or related to the Pale.
- Elder Knowledge: Recover an Elder Scroll to learn an Ancient Secret.
- Alduin's Bane: Exploit the Time-Wound to learn Dragonrend and defeat Alduin at the Throat of the World.
 Imperial Legion Civil War Quests
- Reunification of Skyrim: Reunite Skyrim under the leadership of the Empire. (radiant)
- A False Front: Find and deliver some forged documents to the Stormcloaks.
- The Battle for Fort Dunstad: Regain the Pale for the Imperials. (radiant)
- The Jagged Crown: Find the Jagged Crown for the Imperials.
 Stormcloaks Civil War Quests
- Waking Nightmare: Relieve the people of Dawnstar from Vaermina's curse.
- Pieces of the Past: Retrieve the scattered pieces of Mehrunes' Razor and reforge this deadly blade.
- Discerning the Transmundane: Uncover the secrets of the mysterious Dwemer lockbox.
- Kill Beitild: Resolve a feud in Dawnstar.
- The Cure for Madness: Confront the traitor among the Dark Brotherhood.
- Where You Hang Your Enemy's Head...: Restore the Dark Brotherhood's sanctuary.
- The Dark Brotherhood Forever: Yet another child has prayed to their mother.
- Hail Sithis!: One of the biggest contracts in Brotherhood history is yours to fulfill.
- The Silence Has Been Broken: Meet Amaund Motierre inside Volunruud and learn who he wants assassinated.
- Delayed Burial: Convince an unwilling farmer to help fix a stranded jester's broken wagon wheel.
- Recipe for Disaster: Assume the identity of the famous Gourmet in an effort to assassinate the Emperor.
 Side Quests
- Rise in the East: Help the East Empire Company take care of some pirates.
- A Scroll For Anska: Help Anska trace her roots in High Gate Ruins.
- Kyne's Sacred Trials: Participate in Kyne's Sacred Trials by hunting the guardian beasts of Skyrim.
- The Pale Lady: Find out what happened in Frostmere Crypt.
- Repairing the Phial: Acquire the materials necessary to repair the White Phial.
- The White Phial: Retrieve a legendary artifact to fulfill an old alchemist's wish in Windhelm.