Skyrim:The Cure for Madness
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Astrid.
- Find Cicero's journal and take it to Astrid.
- (Optional) Mount Astrid's horse, Shadowmere.
- Travel to the abandoned Brotherhood sanctuary outside Dawnstar.
- Choose to either kill or spare Cicero.
- Return to Astrid.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Astrid reveals that Cicero attempted to murder her and the other members of the Dark Brotherhood, grievously wounding Veezara in the process. Arnbjorn pursued him as he fled from the sanctuary. She asks you to search Cicero's room for clues as to his whereabouts. Inside the room you find five journals, with the final journal indicating that Cicero might be headed for the long-abandoned sanctuary outside Dawnstar.
Astrid will grant you use of her horse, Shadowmere. Immediately outside the sanctuary he will rise from the black, bubbling liquid. Mount him if you wish, and head to Dawnstar's abandoned Brotherhood sanctuary.
You will find an injured Arnbjorn outside the sanctuary. He reveals that he and Cicero seriously wounded each other before Cicero escaped into the safety of the sanctuary and instructs you to "just follow the blood".
A pass phrase is needed to enter the sanctuary; it can be found in the final volume of Cicero's journal ("Innocence, my brother").
Once inside, Cicero will begin to speak to you. You can find a set of enchanted clothing similar to what he uses on the table:
While the sanctuary is abandoned, it is not unoccupied. It is inhabited by ghosts of the previous Dark Brotherhood residents, who will attack on sight. They can be tough in melee combat and not easy to sneak by. The second room is a circular chamber with another room below and a bridge. The spike trap can be avoided by avoiding the bridge and crawling along the left-hand wall; there is enough of a ledge to allow this. First shoot the second ghost in the room on the far side, either killing him or forcing him to cross the trap to attack you.
Across the bridge at the foot of the stairs, you will find two skill books: Fire and Darkness and The Marksmanship Lesson. You can also find unenchanted, lesser quality versions of the Shrouded Armor on the shelf nearby, if you want to keep the appearance of your armor but add your own enchantments. The floor of this room is full of spilled oil and can be lit by fire spell or shooting down a lamp before entering the room proper. Do not fire the oil too soon or else the oil will burn before the ghosts appear. If you do not light the oil yourself, the ghosts may light it.
Continuing along, you will enter the cave of the Udefrykte. It is easy to simply sneak past it if you wish. You will also encounter more ghosts as you continue.
 Keeper of The Old Ways
At the end, you will find Cicero curled up in a fetal position pretending to be injured. Cicero cautions you that the Night Mother will not be happy if you kill him. At this point it is your choice whether to kill him or not. If you attack him he leaps to his feet, obviously unhurt, and gleefully screams "Haha! Behold the final trick of the Fool of Hearts! You think me near death? Haha! Think again."
His corpse, if you choose to kill him, contains:
If you decide not to kill him, he returns to serve after you complete Hail Sithis!. You can pickpocket his clothes with the perk Perfect Touch, however the chestpiece is hard to steal and the hat requires maxed Pickpocketing and all success increasing perks for a chance of success under 20%. He can also potentially be a follower. A chest can be found to the left of Cicero.
Whatever your decision, the quest is now complete. Speak to Astrid to begin your next mission.
- While killing the ghosts under the bridge, there is a ghost that can be pickpocketed for a bow and a large amount of arrows.
- It is possible to pick up the weapons used by the ghosts, but they are difficult to find and disappear very quickly. The weapons are dropped in the same manner as any other NPC's weapon when killed. Since you only have a couple of seconds, it may be easier to tap the action button repeatedly and follow the weapon as it falls out of the ghost's hand.
- While the quest is active, Lucien Lachance will continue his dialogue on "the jester" and the Dread Father, even if the player is nowhere near the Dawnstar Sanctuary.
- Sometimes, when you come back after completing the Breaching Security quest, Astrid will only say "Oh good, you're back, you're going to want to hear this".
- If you attempt to pickpocket Cicero while he is lying on the floor and you fail, he will get up and start attacking you.
- If you strike Cicero while he is saying "Do what you will... In the end, Sithis will judge us both", he will start to jump up and attack you, but then lay back down to finish his sentence, and will stay there after he finishes talking.
- If you attack Cicero with Lightning Bolt, he will stand up when shocked, then lie back down again, repeating this each time you shock him. He will not attack you, even after he says "Haha! Behold the final trick of the Fool of Hearts! You think me near death? Haha! Think again."
- If you raise Cicero from the dead before you report back to Astrid, she won't talk and you will never be able to finish the quest even if you kill your Cicero zombie. Cicero's armor will respawn on your Cicero zombie every time you go through a loading screen, meaning you can loot an infinite set of Cicero's armor.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- There is a glitch where the barred door outside Cicero's chamber will open and still show the barred door message. If you walk up to it and jump onto the bar you can skip Udefrykte.
- If you have a follower with you and you enter the tomb, he or she will not follow you once inside or once you leave. You must reenter the sanctuary if your follower does not follow you out. Once you enter, your follower will follow you once again.
- On rare occasions, you will hear the animation and see the bubbles, yet Shadowmere will not appear.
- To fix this, load to a previous save, or during Death Incarnate, coax enemies near the pool to lure Shadowmere out via his aggressiveness. You can also try fast traveling to all the stables until you see Shadowmere for a split second afterwards, and then fast travel back to the sanctuary's pool to see if he has been untrapped.
- Open the console and enter
prid 0009ccd8followed by
moveto playerand Shadowmere should appear in the pool as normal.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 255.
|Prev: Breaching Security||Up: Dark Brotherhood||Next: Recipe for Disaster|