|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak with Gabriella in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.
- Travel to Dragon Bridge.
- (Optional) Steal Gaius Maro's travel schedule.
- Kill Gaius Maro and plant the incriminating letter. For a bonus, kill him in a major city.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Your Next Assignment
First, you will be instructed to speak to Gabriella inside the Sanctuary. She will give you your mission: you are to kill Gaius Maro, the son of Commander Maro, and plant a letter implicating him in a plot against the Emperor. Killing him in a city other than Dragon Bridge will grant you a "reading of your future", according to Gabriella, but this is optional.
 Dragon Bridge
Travel to the town of Dragon Bridge first and, if you choose, steal Gaius' travel schedule. This makes things much easier, and you really have no reason not to do it - simply sneak into the building the schedule is in and nab it. Even if not in Sneak mode, a soldier will only yell "Hey, you won't get away with that!", 1 bounty is incurred and they do follow you, but if you sheath weapons without killing anyone they should let you walk out. Once outside, check what day of the week it is in-game, then read the schedule and travel to the appropriate city.
This is the schedule as it appears in game that you steal from the Penitus Oculatus Outpost:
|Morndas||Solitude, the Emperor's Tower||-|
|Morndas evening||Solitude, Castle Dour||Food and sleep.|
|Tirdas||Windhelm, the Palace of the Kings||-|
|Tirdas evening||Windhelm, Barracks||Food and sleep.|
|Middas||Riften, Mistveil Keep||-|
|Turdas evening||Whiterun, the Bannered Mare||Food and sleep.|
|Fredas||Markarth, Understone Keep||-|
|Fredas evening||Markarth, Guard Tower||Food and sleep.|
|Loredas||-||To be spent at your discretion.|
|Sundas||-||To be spent at your discretion.|
 The Stalking Assassin
Don't be afraid to simply wait for a day. There is no time limit on this quest, and when he has completed his schedule, he will repeat the same schedule next week. It is much easier to assassinate him on the road when he is alone, but you forfeit your bonus reward by doing so. Wherever you kill him, loot his corpse and plant the Incriminating Letter on his body, then return to the Sanctuary. Alternatively, you can reverse-pickpocket the note prior to killing him.
To easily kill Gaius in a city, wait until he stays at the Bannered Mare in Whiterun. He will go to sleep in a room alone around midnight, allowing for an easy sneak attack. Alternatively, you can speak to Gaius and provoke him into attacking you; this allows you to kill him in self-defense without a crime being registered.
You will be rewarded with leveled gold. Gaius himself carries a set of rare Penitus Oculatus light armor. If Gaius died in a city, you will also receive Olava's Token. The token will give you a miscellaneous quest to find an "assassin of old", which will lead you to a dead Dark Brotherhood member in a cave dressed with an upgraded version of every piece of Dark Brotherhood armor.
- Since Dragon Bridge is part of Haafingar, the guards there will try to arrest you if you earned a bounty in Solitude during the previous quest.
- If you choose to follow Gaius he might get lost on his way to Solitude, and simply walk or stand around by the water near Solitude (possibly anywhere in Skyrim), or even swim in it. Fast traveling or waiting should make him remember what he is doing, and he might suddenly travel at a higher speed than possible for the player until he has caught up with his schedule.
- Sometimes when at the Bannered Mare in Whiterun, Gaius will never enter his room at all, instead periodically getting up and changing chairs before he leaves in the morning.
- After killing Gaius Maro, you can report back to Gabriella and she'll just repeat that he's "still alive".
- The quest token is required to receive a fortune reading from Olava the Feeble.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- If you are apprehended in Dragon Bridge by a guard, and you have a bounty, Gaius may not leave the town.
- Gaius and his father may be hostile to the player and citizens without reason. Being essential until they finish their initial conversation, this may cause the deaths of many residents of Dragon Bridge.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 255.
|Prev: Bound Until Death||Up: Dark Brotherhood||Next: The Cure For Madness|
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|