- 3 Iron Ores are obtained by mining Iron Ore Veins. Can be purchased at all levels.
- 1 Iron Ingot is obtained by smelting 1 Iron Ore (this is the only case where only one ore is required to make an ingot). Can be purchased at all levels.
- 1 Steel Ingot is obtained by smelting 1 Iron Ore and 1 Corundum Ore.
- Iron Smithing is available from the start of the game, without any Smithing perks.
- Iron Armor is level 1 Heavy Armor, made from Iron Ingots and Leather Strips.
- Iron weapons are level 1 weapons, made from Iron Ingots and Leather Strips.
 Mineral Sources
In addition to the following guaranteed sources, the best random locations are:
- Iron Ingots are always sold by all blacksmith merchants, at all levels.
- Iron Ingots may be sold by general goods merchants at all levels.
- Iron Ore may be sold by blacksmiths and general goods merchants at all levels.
There are a total of 668 veins, 81 ores, and 275 ingots available in the game. Individual iron ore vein outcroppings are found scattered everywhere across Skyrim. Only particularly notable locations are included in the following list, including places where large amount of the metal may be found and places that are particularly easy to access. The Iron Veins category contains a more complete list of places containing smaller numbers of veins.
All exterior ore veins are shown on. Note, however, that only 50 veins are shown on the map at one time; to see the next set of 50 veins, click on "Next" at the bottom of the list of results. Given the high density of iron veins on the map, a more efficient way to find veins near your current location is to not use the search feature, but instead simply zoom in at your current location on the map. Veins are shown at either of the two highest zoom levels.
 Iron Smithing
Iron items can be forged from the start of the game, without the need to unlock any Smithing perks. This also means that only normal-level tempering of iron items is possible (there is no perk that provides the ability to "improve them twice as much").
 Iron Armor
|Name (ID)||Raw Materials||Delta||Ratio|
|Totals (with shield):||58||295||80||17||10|
|Totals (without shield):||46||235||60||13||9|
 Banded Iron Armor
Banded Iron Armor is marginally better quality heavy armor than standard Iron Armor, and also appears in leveled lists from the start of the game. One drawback of Banded Iron armor is that only a cuirass and shield are available, meaning that it is impossible to create a Matching Set of Banded Iron armor (Patch 1.9 later addressed this bug). Both items can be tempered using 1 Corundum Ingot.
|Name (ID)||Raw Materials||Delta||Ratio|
|Banded Iron Armor
|Banded Iron Shield
 Iron Weapons
Iron Weapons are the lowest-quality weapons in the game, and appear in leveled lists from the start of the game. All items except ammunition can be tempered using 1 Iron Ingot. Arrows can only be smithed if the Dawnguard add-on has been installed.
There is no "Iron Bow", only Iron Arrows. The bow found at similar levels is the Long Bow, which cannot be crafted but can be improved with firewood.
|Iron War Axe
|0||1||8||N/A||1 Iron + 1 Firewood =
24 Iron ArrowsDG
- Iron Ore can be transmuted into Silver Ore, which in turn can be transmuted into Gold Ore.
- Iron Ore can be sold to Beitild, Gestur Rockbreaker, Grogmar gro-Burzag, Skaggi Scar-Face, or Thorgar for the quest Mine Ore. Note that these people will pay you 7 gold (instead of 2 gold) for each ore.
- Iron Ingots are needed when forging all varieties of Iron, Steel, Orcish, Dwarven, Elven, Ancient Nord, and Dragonscale armor and weapons.
- 1 Iron Ingot is needed at Workbenches to improve all varieties of Iron armor (Except Banded Iron armor and Banded Iron shields, which require 1 Corundum ingot), Ancient Nord armor, guards' armor, as well as numerous unique items and artifacts.
- 1 Iron Ingot is needed at Grindstones to improve all varieties of Iron weapons, as well as numerous unique items and artifacts.
- Ore veins of all types sometimes do not respawn normally. See Mining bugs.
- HF All crafted housebuilding items use Iron Ingots in their creation, and many items built at carpenter's workbenches also require them.