Oblivion talk:Canvas the Castle
Comment moved from main page by Actreal 05:10, 7 August 2006 (EDT)
Note: Having attempted to complete this quest the 'good' way, I received a message telling me to return to Chanel to obtain my reward. However, I can't find her anywhere in Chorrol! I can no longer 'legally' enter the area with the sleeping quarters, but even when I did manage to sneak in, Chanel was nowhere to be found. As a result I cannot complete this quest - anyone else had this problem? --TwinStripe 01:15, 7 August 2006 (EDT)
Yeah I had that problem as well, so I used the console to spawn an other Chanel. --Anvil 22:51, 22 December 2006 (EDT)
It should be noted that Chanel is a Master Destruction Trainer. I only got the option after I did not turn her in (accuse none). I was lvl 32 then.
- Actually, she's only a Basic trainer. She will train up to 40 points. This is already noted both on Chanel and Trainers. --TheRealLurlock Talk 16:16, 26 January 2007 (EST)
- The same thing happened to me... 188.8.131.52 16:42, 14 March 2009 (EDT)
I talked to some of the recommended people - Chanel, Orgnolf, Orok gro-Ghoth, probably Chanel and Laythe Wavrick - before I asked the Countess. I noticed it showing up after a short nap on Orgnolf's bed (don't ask, I guess). Laythe doesn't have an option to ask about the issue. For what it's worth, I've got the latest game patch, and then installed 1.7.1 of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. Given my experiences with getting dialogue out-of-order causing bugs, it wouldn't surprise me if this happens regularly. --Edwin Herdman 04:20, 13 March 2007 (EDT)
 Footprints Are?
Anybody know what the footprints are? I realize they are probably supposed to be Chanel's, but when I did this quest I couldn't see any connection between the footprints and any of the suspects. I wouldn't have even found them if not for this wiki, the other two physical clues (and that Chanel said she was looking at stars but everyone else said it was raining) seemed like enough. --ndp, 23:58, 6 May 2007 (EDT).
- The footprints are located in the dining area, someplace that Chanel mentioned she was in during the night of the crime. This is the not-so-subtle way of letting you know that the footprints are Chanel's and not anyone else's. The fact that they're made with spilled paint tells you that Chanel is involved in painting: a highly suggestive fact given that the stolen item is a piece of art. The other two physical clues tie directly to Chanel's interest in painting, after all: this is the common thread a player should look for when searching for clues.Dark Spark 13:37, 27 December 2007 (EST)
 Painting Question
I can't quite see the painting picture - I think my monitor is slightly too dark. But I was wondering what building it is actually a painting of. To me it looks like one of the building's at the North end of Chorrol - the MG, FG or Arborwatch. Am I correct? It would be a great item to get if it's actually of the house you can buy there...— Unsigned comment by Piercethetruth (talk • contribs)
- Yes, it's a painting of Arborwatch from the perspective of somebody standing outside the Fighters Guild. --Rpeh•T•C•E• 09:58, 21 October 2007 (EDT)
 Chanel's Fate
- The Countess says that she is merciful enough not to send her to jail, but she did say that Chanel is stripped of her duties and is not allowed in Chorrol anymore. After that she just...disappears. I do not know whether she was taken out of the game or just went travelling somewhere. Vesna 11:11, 11 November 2007 (EST)
 Possible Bug?
I was in the castle on unrelated business and the countess ticked me off. I swiped her key, the "Chorral Private Area Key." It's now in my inventory and says it's a quest item, and cannot be removed. I'm wondering if it suffers from the same bug as many other keys where it's stuck on me for good now. I'm also wondering if it has somehow activated a quest that I can no longer complete. Anyone know anything about this?
- The Chorrol Castle Private Area key and Arriana Valga's Key are both removed from your inventory when you complete the quest, so they are not permanently stuck in your inventory. Obtaining the key ahead of the time does not trigger the start of the quest or cause any bugs with the quest. --NepheleTalk 15:43, 22 February 2008 (EST)
- Thank you, Nephele. Most helpful indeed. That's a HUGE relief! --Alaston
 Fame and Painting
Is there anyway you can get both the painting and the fame Points without using consoles?--Marleysexton 16:35, 22 February 2008 (EST)
 Returning the Portrait to the Chambers
This appears as a note in the article: If you return the count's painting to the countess, she will put it back up on the wall in her chamber.
I've since returned to the Countess' chambers after having the portrait returned to her, yet I've never seen anything remotely resembling a portrait appearing in the area. Where exactly is the portrait suppossed to show up in the chambers? —Dark Spark 01:13, 6 July 2008 (EDT)
- I've just posted a bug notice on Kivan's talk page to tell him about this one. There is supposed to be a portrait but it never gets enabled. Hopefully he'll be able to add this to the next UOP, but for the moment you can type
prid 115fedand then
enableinto the console to see the portrait. I'll clean the article up too. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 06:56, 6 July 2008 (EDT)
 Page for the reward painting
- Actually the Reward Painting does indeed have its own page, or at least a redirect. The quest page also has some information. There's not much more you can say about it. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 00:44, 28 July 2008 (EDT)
 Chanel says she does not trust me enough to talk about her motivation
As far as i know i have done everything - i have all the journal entries and when i confront Chanel she says that she does not trust me enough to reveal her motivations to me. I have gone back everywhere and spoken to everyone again and back to her several times and she still says the same thing. Is this glitched or is there something i still have missed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.— Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 20:00 on 29 July 2009
- There is a solution. You need her to like you more. Try charming her or play the persuasion minigame. I believe her disposition to you has to be 70. Wolok gro-Barok 20:08, 29 July 2009 (UTC)
- Generally if someone in the game says they don't trust you or know you well enough to talk to you about something, that means they want you to raise their disposition. Do what is advised above. Eventually you get into the habit of using a short but powerful Charm spell on practically everybody before talking to them. You will also notice that the conversation topic remains white (not grayed-out like other topics you have talked about.) This means the NPC has more to tell you, but they will not tell you if they don't like you enough. --Nocturnal 01:02, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
Does Chanel dissapear from the game, or just Chorrol if you turn her in?--Kaito 21:21, 30 July 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, she gets disabled if you turn her in. That means she can't be found in-game anymore. Wolok gro-Barok->T->C->E 11:25, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
 Castle Loot
Moved from article:
- This is a good time to get good loot for Thieves Guild fencing. You can move about parts of the castle you normally couldn't freely and without having to worry about guards.
- It needs to be investigated first whether there actually is enough good loot in the Castle for this to be noteworthy. --Timenn-<talk> 12:22, 9 October 2009 (UTC)
Obviously the gold is leveled, but are the gems leveled? That is, are they flawed at low levels, regular at mid levels, and flawless at high levels or is it set? Stouf761 15:48, 17 August 2010 (UTC)
- They're leveled, but it's more complex than that. At level 1 you will only get pearls, flawed pearls or flawed topazes. At level 17+ you can get anything up to and including flawless diamonds. Other types of gem and qualities get phased in between the two. rpeh •T•C•E• 16:13, 17 August 2010 (UTC)
 Moved note
- You can tell who was responsible for the theft without gathering any evidence. Chanel claims she was taking star readings in the courtyard the night of the theft, while everyone else claims it was raining that night. She also never mentions visiting the West Tower, even though Bittneld saw her there.
This seems to be the writers (Admittedly accurate) speculation. Though it may be confusing to some as some may interpret it that you do not need to collect the evidence to complete the quest. --AKB Talk 04:52, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
I had though exactly the same thing. Unfortunately the game gave you no way other than physical evidence to back up your accusations. Honestly I thought that the information gathered was far more convincing than the evidence anyway. Shadowrose6663 07:21, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
 Changing data
2nd time an IP changed all the numbers from 8 to 3, does this need further investigation?--Catmaniac66 15:55, 11 May 2011 (UTC)
- I checked in the CS. When the countess tells the player to "accept this gold and...blah blah] that player gets a leveled list for the gold reward, and 8 leveled lists for the gem reward. Each of the gem lists will give 1 gem based on the player's level, for a definite total of 8. --DKong27 Talk Cont 00:40, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- I believe the confusion was likely that sometimes when the quest is updating, it does not show all of the gems received. For instance, I completed this quest, and in the corner it said I received 3 flawless emeralds, and then proceeded to go about updating the quest, without showing any more received gems. However, upon checking my inventory, I found a large number of unmentioned gems. Shadowrose6663 07:24, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
 Rolled Up Painting
(moved from the article) If you don't talk about the stolen painting with Chanel after accusing her of the crime, the Rolled Up Painting will not appear in your inventory and you cannot talk to her about the stolen painting. On the PC, you can use the Console command player.additem 00034E52 1 to make it appear in your inventory.
- I moved this because it doesn't make sense. The painting isn't supposed to appear in your inventory after talking to Chanel - you have to track it down. rpeh •T•C•E• 12:25, 2 July 2011 (UTC)
- Is this something that the unofficial patch and/or supplementals might change for some reason? The stolen painting did appear in my inventory after I accused Chanel and talked to her about it. All I had to do after that was report to the countess. -MuddlingThrough 18:23, 20 July 2011 (UTC)
 Relation to Order of Virtuous Blood
The article on the Order of Virtuous Blood, links and bug to do with Ralsa to Canvas in the Castle, yet this article does not state what it is. --Manic 10:51, 6 July 2011 (UTC)
 Can't open lecturn
Is this a bug? The lecturn in Chanal's room was a pretty obvious thing, but there's a chair sort of tipped onto the edge of it, and I can't open it, and I can't move the chair. what am i supposed to do? Is this a bug?— Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 17:22 on 18 August 2011
- the Lectern will not open until you have talked to all of the suspects. 18.104.22.168 03:50, 10 February 2013 (GMT)
Level 17 character, received 500 gold, but only 2 gems. Countess' disposition at 71. 22.214.171.124 03:53, 10 February 2013 (GMT)
- Are you sure it was only 2 gems? Maybe it was 2 types of gems, but 4 of each? Jeancey (talk) 05:25, 10 February 2013 (GMT)
 Trespassing Required?
Some of the areas involved in the quest, such as the castle towers, have red icons on the doors. However, upon opening with the key given by the Countess, the trespasses counter in the journal was not incremented.
Does searching the areas requested by the Countess actually count as crimes? --126.96.36.199 21:54, 22 March 2014 (GMT)