Skyrim:Taking Care of Business
|This article is currently being redeveloped in the sandbox User:Likelolwhat/Strawman, by Likelolwhat. However, you are welcome to help in the discussion/construction of this ongoing project by using the talk page of that sandbox—your input will be appreciated. If no editor has made any changes in a while, please contact the main editor via the talk page or, if they're inactive, remove this template. This WIP notice was originally posted on 05:39, 27 July 2014 (GMT).|
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Brynjolf in the Ragged Flagon.
- (Optional) Speak to Talen-Jei.
- Speak to Keerava.
- Speak to Bersi Honey-Hand.
- Speak to Haelga.
- Return to Brynjolf.
 Detailed Walkthrough
The Ratways are fairly easy to progress through as you will never face more than one enemy at the same time apart from the very first corridor. After facing the two bandits you will encounter a raised drawbridge, which will force you to jump down into the room below. At this point you can either open the expert-locked gate nearby or make your way through the remaining part of the sewer. Either way, you will arrive at a final room containing a bandit and a copy of Beggar, a Pickpocket skill book. Before leaving, activate the lever on the wall: this will lower the drawbridge and provide a shorter way in and out. If you have at least two levels of the shout Whirlwind Sprint, you can also jump the gap to the other side of the drawbridge and carefully edge around until you reach the lever.
Once you enter the Ragged Flagon, find Brynjolf at the bar. He will instruct you to collect debts from three business owners in town and will offer a few tips on how to get the money out of them.
- Keerava's debt (inside The Bee and Barb): Speak first to Talen-Jei just inside the door. He tells you he's in love with Keerava and, to protect her from harm, reveals she has some family on a farm not far across the Morrowind border. With this information talk to Keerava and she'll hand over the cash.
- Bersi Honey-Hand's debt (inside Pawned Prawn): To convince this stubborn Nord man you'll have to hurt him indirectly. Destroy the Dwemer urn in front of the counter with your weapon or fists and he will buckle.
- Haelga's debt (inside Haelga's Bunkhouse): Haelga is a devout follower of Dibella and you can use that to your advantage. Upon entering, turn right and steal the statue in the corner. Threaten to throw it down a well and she'll pay up immediately.
Whichever one is the last one to be racketeered will give up the money without incident. After you have collected the debts, return to Brynjolf. He'll lead you to talk to Guildmaster Mercer Frey, who will give you a new task and welcome you to the guild.
By completing the quest, you gain a few perks:
- Membership of the Thieves Guild.
- A full set of enchanted Thieves Guild armor (Armor, Boots, Gloves, Hood) from Tonilia in the Ragged Flagon.
- The possibility of using Tonilia as a fence.
One achievement is unlocked at the end of this quest, when you become a member of the guild:
- If you fail to convince any of the NPCs, you can choose to brawl with two of them; word gets around and the third NPC gladly pays up to avoid a similar fate. If you picked up the Gloves of the Pugilist in the Ratway, you can make short work of both opponents.
- Killing the target NPCs will also complete this quest. Although Brynjolf won't be happy, there are no other repercussions.
- If Talen-Jei dies before the quest is started, it may not start at all.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.1 of the Official Skyrim Patch; Talen-Jei is made essential.
- Bersi Honey-Hand's prize urn can appear unbreakable. Winning a brawl against him instead advances the quest, or return later as the last person approached gives in without further intimidation.
- If one of the NPC merchants is killed during a raid or the town is given to the Imperials during the main storyline, the game will glitch and you will be unable to finish the quest.
- Sometimes this quest will complete and you will be unable to start the next one, even through console commands. This means that if you go into the Ragged Flagon Cistern, you will be trespassing and all of the thieves will turn hostile.
- This can be fixed by entering
setstage TG02B 10and finishing it before entering Flagon.
- This can be fixed by entering
- If Drifa has been killed prior to ending A Chance Arrangement, this quest will not be able to start.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Use the console command
setstage TG02 10to start the quest.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 12, 30, 35, 40, 42, 45, 47.
|Prev: A Chance Arrangement||Up: Thieves Guild||Next: Loud and Clear|