Varnius and Elisif will not respond to the player while this conversation takes place.
 Related Quests
- He talks about his employer Tasius Tragus, an NPC that was not implemented in the final game.
- Sometimes Varnius will not start his appeal when the player approaches the throne. This can be solved by pushing Varnius from where he is standing.
- This can also happen if the Bard's quest Tending the Flames has started. Completing the quest can make Varnius start talking the next time you enter the Palace.
- Some stages of the main quest will stop Varnius from interacting with the player. Creating peace in Skyrim will solve this.
- He walks back and forth between Dragon Bridge and the Blue Palace.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- For unknown reasons, it is possible for the quest not to advance to stage 15 when you enter the court.
- If you want to buy the house in Solitude and thus, complete the quest SR:No Stone Unturned you'll need to force the start of SR:The Man Who Cried Wolf by doing that:
This will be the case if you see Varnius Junius just standing around doing nothing. This may be related to the Bard's College quest Tending the Flames; if you haven't completed the quest, Varnius Junius may not begin speaking until you have burned the effigy of King Olaf. It is also possible that simply attempting to speak with him or physically pushing him (by walking into him) will make him begin his conversation.
- This quest fails to begin during some parts of the main quest. Varnius Junius will not approach the Jarl and it will be impossible to begin The Man Who Cried Wolf. To fix this issue, either complete the civil war quests, or finish the main quest (if you choose to hold a peace negotiation).