Skyrim:A Blade in the Dark
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
When you arrive in Riverwood, go to the Sleeping Giant inn to speak with Delphine. Ask her about renting the attic room, as the mysterious note you found suggests. Delphine will tell you that there is not any such thing, but she can give them the room on the left. Go with Delphine to the room she indicates where she will open a secret passage to a room below the inn. Here she will give you the Horn and reveal that she took the Horn to attract the attention of the Dragonborn. The note was a misdirect to protect against trickery by the Thalmor. Delphine also tells you that the dragons are not coming back, but are actually being resurrected from their burial mounds. Only the Dragonborn can permanently kill dragons, but she is not quite ready to accept you as Dragonborn, despite the Greybeards' interest in you. Luckily, she has a task to prove your worth. According to the Dragonstone map from Bleak Falls Barrow, the next dragon will rise from a burial mound in Kynesgrove. She wants you to accompany her to the burial site and kill the dragon; only then will she accept you as Dragonborn. Tell her you're ready to leave, and she will put on her gear and leave the inn.
You are free to follow Delphine to Kynesgrove, or you can go at your own pace and possibly beat her there. As soon as you get to Kynesgrove, Iddra will run up to you saying that a dragon was sighted flying over the burial mound and that you should get out of town. If you traveled with Delphine, she will run up ahead of you to the burial mound, fearing it may be too late. If you arrived ahead of her, she will appear shortly on the mound, behind you.
Upon arriving at the site, you will see the dragon Alduin, who is using his Thu'um to resurrect the dead dragon. When the dragon, Sahloknir, is whole once more, he has a conversation in the dragon language with Alduin. It is recorded below with a general translation below the text and a literal translation in parentheses.
- Alduin: Sahloknir, ziil gro dovah ulse!
- Sahloknir, ever-bound dragon spirit! (spirit bound dragon eternity-of.)
- Alduin: Slen tiid vo!
- Let your flesh be unrotten! (Flesh against time.)
- Sahloknir: Alduin, thuri! Boaan tiid vokriiha suleyksejun kruziik?
- Alduin, my overlord! An age past, did you not destroy the power of the ancient kings? (Alduin, my overlord! An age time ago kill power-of-kings ancient?)
- Alduin: Geh, Sahloknir, kaali mir.
- Yes, Sahloknir, my trusted ally. (Yes, Sahloknir, my champion [of] allegiance.)
- Alduin: Ful, losei Dovahkiin? Zu'u koraav nid nol dov do hi.
- So, my false Dragonborn? I do not recognize you as dragon. (So, my of-fake Dragonborn? I recognize no from dragon of you.)
- Alduin: You do not even know our tongue, do you? Such arrogance, to dare take for yourself the name of Dovah.
- Alduin: Sahloknir, krii daar joorre.
- Sahloknir, kill these mortals. (Sahloknir, kill these mortals.)
After ordering Sahloknir to kill you, Alduin flies away. Kill Sahloknir and absorb his soul, then talk to Delphine. She will tell you everything that you want to know, and reveals that she is one of the last members of the Blades. She will then talk to you about her suspicions regarding the Thalmor, who stand to benefit the most from the return of the dragons. Finally, she will reveal her plan to infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy, starting the next quest, Diplomatic Immunity.
- Upon the start of this quest, Alduin will begin to revive dragons from their burial mounds scattered across Skyrim.
- You can happen upon the burial site any time after Delphine leaves Riverwood. The quest will progress normally, skipping whatever you missed.
- Delphine will make no comment if you slay a dragon that is not Sahloknir, despite that proving your status as Dragonborn.
- When Delphine goes to put her travelling gear on at the start of the quest in Riverwood, she will stand next to the chest although the chest beforehand states that it is empty.
- Standing too close to the burial mound when Alduin revives Sahloknir may cause you to be thrown aside in a manner similar to the Unrelenting Force shout. Though you can likely pick yourself back up before Alduin's and Sahloknir's conversation ends and the battle begins, you can be thrown off the hill and take fall damage, so be careful.
- While A Blade in the Dark is active dragon locations will be limited to dragon walls. Other than dragon walls, random dragon encounters are nearly eliminated while A Blade in the Dark is active allowing for controlled access to dragon fights.
- Sometimes when you reach the dragon burial mound, Sahloknir will not fully emerge from the ground, and does not die when his health reaches zero.
- This can be fixed by walking far enough out of the dragon's range, which extends as far as Kynesgrove, and walking back.
- Talking to Delphine after slaying Sahloknir and absorbing his soul may not trigger the quest update.
- Using the console command
setstage MQ106 155can correct this. Follow up with
setstage MQ106 160if that fails to work.
- Using the console command
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1, 5, 10, 20, 25, 32, 35, 40, 42, 45, 47, 48, 55, 58, 60, 65, 70, 72, 75, 80, 90, 100, 105, 110, 120, 155, 160, 170.
|Prev: The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller||Up: Main Quest||Next: Diplomatic Immunity|