Skyrim:Making Friends and Influencing People
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
 Radiant Options
This is a radiant quest which you can receive in any of the nine holds of Skyrim. The name of the objective appearing in your journal will be one of the following, depending upon the hold:
- Assist the people of Eastmarch
- Assist the people of Falkreath
- Assist the people of Haafingar
- Assist the people of Hjaalmarch
- Assist the people of the Pale
- Assist the people of the Reach
- Assist the people of the Rift (see notes)
- Assist the people of Whiterun
- Assist the people of Winterhold
 Quick Walkthrough
Before starting this quest, you must first befriend the jarl of the hold.
- Speak to the jarl to receive the quest.
- Improve the disposition of three or five people of that hold, usually by doing favor quests for them.
- Return to the jarl.
 Detailed Walkthrough
You will need to improve the disposition of three people for the minor holds Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, the Pale, and Winterhold. For the major holds Eastmarch, Haafingar, the Reach, the Rift, and Whiterun, you will need to help five people.
The people you help must be ordinary citizens of the hold. Members of Khajiit caravans and Orcs living in strongholds do not count (Orcs who are found in cities and towns along with non-Orcs do count).
The most common way of improving disposition of people is by performing favor quests on their behalf. However, some side quests also improve the disposition of people, and if you have the investor perk then investing in businesses improves the disposition of the business owner as well.
Citizens that you befriend before starting this quest count towards your total. It is possible to complete this quest for a particular hold immediately after starting the Thane quest. Also, citizens that you befriended which then died count towards your total. (Usually in those cases, you will have received an Inheritance.)
- While the Rift thane quest is active, most of its objectives do not show up in your journal. The Rift thane quest uses its own code to replace the functions of this quest, so Objective 20 is never assigned. The requirement to assist citizens of the Rift is replaced by a requirement to complete Rift favor quests, and it starts automatically and after completing Supply and Demand. The game will track the number of Rift quests you complete, unlike in other holds where you are required to ask the jarl if there is something you can do to help first. Once you have completed the requirement to complete favors, you will be given an objective to return to the Jarl of Riften.
- If Balgruuf is Jarl of Whiterun, you cannot receive this quest from him. He will make you Thane as a quest reward for completing Dragon Rising, which is early in the main quest. Only if you side with the Stormcloaks and remove him from power is this quest available in Whiterun.
- "Assist the people of Haafingar" may not be cleared from your quest log by Solitude's jarl once completed, though you are able to become a thane and gain a housecarl in your home (once purchased). The concern may be complicated by having already helped five people before talking to the jarl for the first time.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Entering the console command
setobjectivecompleted FavorJarlsMakeFriends 30 1after becoming a thane may resolve this.
- Continuing to assist the people of Haafingar can cause the counter to update to 6/5, at which point the objective is completed and cleared from the quest log.
 Quest Stages
|Making Friends and Influencing People (FavorJarlsMakeFriends)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Assist the people of the Reach (<Global=FriendsCountReach>/5)
|15||(Quest Completed for the Reach)|
Objective 20: Assist the people of the Rift (<Global=FriendsCountRift>/5)
|25||(Quest Completed for the Rift)|
Objective 30: Assist the people of Haafingar (<Global=FriendsCountHaafingar>/5)
|35||(Quest Completed for Haafingar)|
Objective 40: Assist the people of Whiterun (<Global=FriendsCountWhiterun>/5)
|45||(Quest Completed for Whiterun)|
Objective 50: Assist the people of Eastmarch (<Global=FriendsCountEastmarch>/5)
|55||(Quest Completed for Eastmarch)|
Objective 60: Assist the people of Hjaalmarch (<Global=FriendsCountHjaalmarch>/3)
|65||(Quest Completed for Hjaalmarch)|
Objective 70: Assist the people of the Pale (<Global=FriendsCountPale>/3)
|75||(Quest Completed for the Pale)|
Objective 80: Assist the people of Winterhold (<Global=FriendsCountWinterhold>/3)
|85||(Quest Completed for Winterhold)|
Objective 90: Assist the people of Falkreath (<Global=FriendsCountFalkreath>/3)
|95||(Quest Completed for Falkreath)|
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|