Skyrim:Thane of the Pale
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Befriend the Jarl of the Pale.
- Assist the people of the hold (three actions required).
- Return to the jarl for your reward.
In order to receive this quest you must first aid the current jarl. If Brina is Jarl of the Pale (whether she was installed via Reunification of Skyrim or Season Unending), then she is automatically friendly to you. If Skald is Jarl of the Pale, then normally, you must first complete Waking Nightmare and then Kill the Giant in order to befriend him. If Brina was installed as jarl in Season Unending, and then you reinstate Skald via Liberation of Skyrim that will also befriend him. Once you have completed the prerequisite, speak with the jarl again and he or she will ask you to aid the people of the hold. In order to assist the people of the hold, you must befriend three people who are citizens of the Pale. Usually you do this by completing favor quests on their behalf. All of the favor quests in the Pale are for people in Dawnstar, except for Aeri, who lives at Anga's Mill. Note that you can also befriend merchants if you have the Investor perk by investing in their stores.
The Pale Favor Quests
Highlighted quests can be easily completed without any skill use.
|Beitild||Mine Ore: Get paid to mine ore. (radiant)|
|Captain Wayfinder||Salty Sea-Dogs: Find some void salts for an inexperienced sea captain. (radiant)||
|Frida||Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)||
|Karl||Quest all Drunks Have: Make a drunk dance for joy. (radiant)|
|Leigelf||Mine Ore: Get paid to mine ore. (radiant)|
|Rustleif||Rare Gifts: Do a favor by finding a rare item. (radiant)||
|Aeri†||Delivery: Deliver an item to an associate. (radiant)||
|Chop Wood: Get paid to chop firewood. (radiant)|
After helping three inhabitants, the journal tells you to return to the jarl. The Blade of the Pale is awarded along with the title. The Blade of the Pale is a randomly-leveled and randomly-enchanted sword. There is a 50% chance that it will be a sword, and a 50% chance it will be a greatsword. If you have Hearthfire installed, then Gregor will also be assigned to you as a housecarl.
- The kill a giant quest has a minimum level of 22. If you are not level 22 yet, then you cannot receive this quest from Skald. If Brina is jarl (or Skald has been removed from power and then reinstated), this quest is not required to become Thane.
- The kill a giant quest requires a giant to kill. If you have cleared all of the giants from all of the giant camps, then you cannot receive this quest from Skald. To solve this issue, wait or sleep indoors for 30 days and all giant camps will have been respawned.
- It is possible to become Thane of the Pale and receive leveled Blade of Pale twice - from Skald and then from Brina.
|Thane of the Pale (Favor256)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 15: Return to <Alias.ShortName=QuestGiver>
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 10, 25, 200.