|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
Mystery of Talara, v3
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Morvunskar01, MorvunskarExterior01, MorvunskarExterior02, MorvunskarExterior03, MorvunskarExterior04|
|Southwest of Windhelm Stables
East of Uttering Hills Cave
|# of Arcane Enchanters||1|
|# of Tanning Racks||1|
|# of Forges/Anvils||1|
|# of Workbenches||1|
|# of Cooking Pots/Spits||1|
Morvunskar is a fort located to the southwest of, and overlooking, Windhelm. It is a medium-sized fort that is currently occupied by leveled Warlocks. Its tactical position is evidenced by its view of Windhelm to the northeast and Kynesgrove to the southeast, and also the large number of main roads that can be seen from its towers. There are unusually large numbers of Alto Wine, Empty Wine and Wine bottles located in the fort, as well as the many potions and alchemy ingredients usually associated with a Warlock lair.
There are five Warlocks guarding the exterior of the fort. The first can be seen in a wooden guard tower above the entrance tunnel, while two others patrol the first courtyard. The fourth patrols the stairs up to the camp, and the fifth is sitting in a chair by the fire. The Warlocks have a high detection level, making a stealthy approach difficult, though the fort can be accessed from the western side, due to landslides making the ground equal to the height of the walls.
The entrance tunnel has a pressure plate near the beginning that activates four different flame spouts, starting from the far end and moving towards the plate. There are three bedrolls underneath wooden shelters spread around the fire. The door to the interior of the fort is to the west of the fire, and there is a chest by the bedroll to the north.
 Related Quests
- Arniel's Endeavor: Uncover an ancient Dwemer secret. (radiant)
- A Night To Remember: Find your lost friend, Sam, as you recover from a bad hangover.
- Onmund's Request: Help Onmund negotiate the return of a family amulet from Enthir. (radiant)
- An Iron Ore vein can be found to the east of the path up to the fort.
- A Gold Ore vein and a Corundum Ore vein are located to the east. To reach them, go east from the bottom of the path to the fort and go around the rocks, then head north until directly east of the Morvunskar marker.
- A Shrine of Talos is located to the west of the main road towards Windhelm, with an assortment of weapons and items at its base.
- There are 105 empty wine bottles scattered throughout the complex, and in the first room you enter going down the stairs to get to the portal, the occupants appear to have been playing the drinking game Quarters.
- Poetic Justice can be served on Naris. If you activate the lever before he detects you, he will back into the torture room to give himself space to cast his spells. You can then close the gate and kill him at your leisure, or even just leave him trapped there.
 Morvunskar Interior
If you go silently to your right after entering, you will overhear two Warlocks having a conversation:
Warlock #1: "They drink all day and night and what do I do?"
Warlock #2: "You work the forge."
Warlock #1: "Why do they need me to do this? We use magic, not weapons. I swear they make me do this for a laugh. At least I'm not dealing with the prisoners down below."
Warlock #2: "Yeah, I don't know how I feel about what goes on down there."
Warlock #1: "I bet Naris gets a kick . Nasty fella he is."
Warlock #2: "You better quiet down before you end up there. Then I'd have to work the forge."
The room they are in contains a forge, a workbench, a bed, and on the table, three iron ingots, two iron ore samples, a silver ore sample, and a copy of the Smithing skill book Cherim's Heart. The door beside this room is barred from the other side. The room opposite the main entrance is the kitchen, and contains a cooking pot, a tanning rack, a Woodcutter's Axe, and hanging up, one Dried Frost Mirriam, one Dried Elves Ear, two Garlic buds, three rabbits, three pheasants, and four salmon.
In the middle of the room are two fire braziers that mark the onward path, which is down some steps and through an unlocked door. Going through the door after the linear hallway, you will find a coin purse and some loose coins on a table to the left. The next large room is partially flooded, the stairs are to the left before doing a u-turn to continue. To the left before the pile of rubble is a pressure plate that activates flame spouts from the left wall. Proceeding on, you will find an improvised throne atop the stairs and a small dining area to the left of the stairs. The boss Warlock sits on his "throne" (which is just a chair), another Warlock wanders about at the top of the stairs, and the boss chest is to the left of the throne.
There is a Warlock patrolling the dining area and part of the next hallway. The dining area is a mess, with three overturned tables and ten overturned chairs. There is a potion lying in front of the shelves. If you look towards the throne from the shelves, you will see a storage room with a novice-locked chest and an adept-locked strongbox at the far end. The area affected by the portal to Misty Grove is larger than its physical appearance and extends into this room. If it is activated, you will need to hug the left wall and proceed slowly towards the containers to avoid being transported. Save before starting in case you are transported.
In the middle of the next hallway is another pressure plate which activates a spiked gate from the right. There is a Warlock patrolling the hallway by the spiked gate, which can be used to kill them. However, if you were involved in a combat in the previous room, they will have joined the fight. Past the junction there is a room on either side: the room to the right contains two beds, while the room to the left contains a sleeping Warlock, an arcane enchanter, and a soul gem on the shelves.
Past the spiked wall and the following barrels is a high-level Warlock writing a note which cannot be found before or after killing the Warlock. There is another Warlock patrolling the hallway around the corner. The door straight ahead leads to a room with a Shrine of Dibella, a leveled potion on an end table to the right, and two leather strips on one to the left. In the novice-locked door to the east, you will find Naris the Wicked and the results of his "experiments". You may even overhear some of his comments about his experiments such as the "...sweet smell of burnt flesh.". There is a lever to the left that opens the gate to his torture chamber, where six burnt corpses can be found lying on the smoldering fire. There is a copy of the Destruction skill book Mystery of Talara, v3 and a leveled poison located on the shelves to the right of where Naris stood, and a chest to the left.
The hallway simply leads back to the other side of the barred door, and to the exit.
- Sanguine can sometimes be found in Morvunskar fighting the Warlocks. This can happen at any time once the quest A Night To Remember has started.
- The portal to Misty Grove might not close after you finish A Night To Remember.
- In the large central room (where the portal to Misty Grove appears), you may encounter up to 7 assorted magic casters. Depending on circumstances, if they all attack, their graphics, lightning, fire blasts etc. can easily cause the game to crash or lock up. Making a save before entering the room is advisable.