(Click on any item for details)
Shield M% for D seconds
Shield adds directly to the physical Armor Rating of the subject, and is cumulative with worn armor. For example, if you are wearing no armor and cast a 25% Shield spell, you end up with an armor rating of 25, which is equivalent to wearing a full set of Leather Armor; if you then put on a suit of Leather Armor in addition to the spell, your total Armor Rating would be 50, or 50%. Armor Rating is capped at 85%, and cannot go higher.
The Shield effect has no negative impact on the caster's Spell Effectiveness.
- Shield effects only reduce base damage done to you. Magical damage is unaffected by shield. For that, you will want Resist Magic.
- This effect can be gained for spell making and enchanting via spells or choosing the Breton or Nord race.
- It is possible to give your character 100% (or higher) Shield effect, for example by enchanting 5 items with transcendent Sigil Stones. The Active Effects menu will confirm that the total Shield effect is 100%. However, the resulting armor rating is still only 85%, so the extra 15% Shield is providing no benefit.
- When Enchanting, an Elemental Shield effect is often preferable to a plain Shield.
- For example, a 5% Fire Shield gives you 5% fire resistance and a +5 to your armor rating. A 5% Shield spell only gives you the AR boost.
- When enchanting using an altar of enchanting, Shield and Elemental Shield strengths are very similar (Shield gives you at most 1 extra point).
- When enchanting using Sigil Stones, Elemental Shield always gives you a stronger effect than regular Shield. For example, a transcendent Sigil Stone gives 20% Shield or 25% Elemental Shield.
- For spellcasting, the difference between an Elemental Shield and a plain Shield effect can be more significant. The base cost for an Elemental Shield (0.95) is more than twice that of a plain Shield (0.45).
 See also
- Armor: General information on the physical armor available in the game.
- Oblivion-Armor-Shields Light and Oblivion-Armor-Shields Heavy: Categories listing all of the available physical shields.
- Bound Armor, Fire Shield, Frost Shield, Shock Shield
- Resist Disease, Resist Fire, Resist Frost, Resist Magic, Resist Normal Weapons, Resist Paralysis, Resist Poison, Resist Shock
 Alchemy Ingredients
The following ingredients can be used to create a potion of Shield: