Skyrim:A Night To Remember
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Meet Sam Guevenne and accept the drinking contest.
- Help clean up the Temple of Dibella.
- Ask about Sam and the staff in Rorikstead.
- Talk to Ysolda in Whiterun about the staff.
- Head to Morvunskar.
- Search Morvunskar for Sam and the staff.
- Receive your reward from the Daedric Lord Sanguine.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Drinking Competition
Once you reach level 14, you may meet Sam Guevenne in any pub or town. He will challenge you to a drinking contest, offering to award you a staff if you win. Sam reaches his limit after his second drink. You can win by taking a third drink, after which a drunken Sam declares you the winner. However, before awarding the staff, Sam wants to take his new drinking buddy to "a place where the wine flows like water". At this point your mental blackout begins and the screen fades to black until the next day.
 The Temple
You will be woken by Senna, the priestess in the temple of Dibella in Markarth. She mentions either a wedding and a goat or blaspheming the statuaries by fondling, then asks you to clean up the temple, which you trashed last night. If you apologize, you will learn a little bit more information about what happened. You will have to pick up several seemingly meaningless items, namely, a giant's toe, two bottles of Alto Wine, a Hagraven feather, and a confusing note from Sam. According to the note, you need these items, now marked as quest items, to fix the staff you were promised. You can skip the cleanup through persuasion or bribe. If you avoid cleaning up, you need not worry about trying to get the items.
After you clean up the temple, the priestess tells you that when you got there you were saying something about Rorikstead.
 Grok and a Goat
Head on to Rorikstead and when you arrive, look for Ennis. He will indignantly rebuke you for stealing his prized goat, named Gleda, and selling her to a giant. To get the information you need, you can pay Ennis 1000 gold for the goat, persuade him, intimidate him, or simply retrieve his goat.
To get Gleda, head south to find the goat wandering around near a giant named Grok. The giant is non-hostile, but once you get the goat to follow you, Grok will decide to attack. It is possible to steal Gleda without incurring Grok's wrath if you sneak up and "talk" to Gleda and then immediately run before Grok notices you, or yield to Grok if he does attack you. Gleda will follow you no matter how fast you run. Another option is to cast Calm on Grok before engaging with Gleda. Grok will not care that you have taken Gleda for the duration of the spell. If you are skilled enough, you can kill Grok.
 Debt to Ysolda
Go to Whiterun and find Ysolda. She says that you bought a wedding ring on credit from her, but since there isn't going to be a wedding, she wants the ring back. Your options are much the same as earlier conversations: you can persuade or intimidate her to get the information about Sam, pay her 2000 gold for the ring, or find the ring.
"Darling! I've been waiting for you to return, to consummate our love!"
Your only option is to ask for the ring back. Moira gets mad and turns hostile:
"What? You want it for that hussy Esmerelda, with the dark feathers – don't you? I won't let her have you!"
Kill her and take the wedding ring from her inventory.
Once you have the ring, return to Whiterun and give it to Ysolda to learn where you were going to have the ceremony: Morvunskar.
 The "Perfect" Wedding Location
Having learned of the wedding's location, head over to Morvunskar. You will find a lot of hostile mages there. Fight your way into the fort; when you reach a certain room and ascend its steps, a ball of blue light will appear. Enter it and you'll be transported to Misty Grove. Follow the path and you will find a bunch of people sitting around a table, including your drinking buddy Sam. Sam will eventually reveal that he is actually Sanguine. He will tell you that he was introducing some merriment and subversion into the world and was motivating you to "have fun" (the items he had you bring, it turns out, were pointless, and will no longer be quest items). He will reward your efforts to track him down with the Sanguine Rose and will teleport you back to the pub where you met him.
- All of the items in Sam's note are indirectly related to the quest: giant's toes are a reference to Grok, holy water is a reference to Dibella Shrine well (seems like Alto Wine bottles filled with shrine holy water), and a Hagraven feather is a reference to Moira.
- It has been reported that starting this quest when you have the Markarth bounty glitch (with the guards entering a conversation loop and never allowing you to go to jail or pay the bounty) fixes it, allowing you to finally pay your bounty.
- Ysolda's dialogue doesn't change even if you are already married to her. Also, if you asked her to live somewhere other than in Whiterun, you'll have to travel there to speak with her.
- There are a number of ways to bypass parts of the quest. At the start of the quest, you can go straight to Witchmist Grove and loot the Wedding Ring off of Moira, and continue the quest from there. Also, rather than getting the information from Ennis (by passing a Speech check or by bringing Gleda back), you can go straight to Ysolda.
- After the quest is completed, there will be a random encounter with an Argonian called Deep-In-His-Cups. He says that you and Sam owe him 10,000 gold for a bet because he ran into a bandit camp and almost died. If you say that you don't have 10,000 gold, he will attack you unless you pass a Persuasion speech test. If you pass the speech test, he will offer to lower your debt to 750 coins. If you pay the debt (either 10,000 or 750 coins), he will go back to Black Marsh.
- If you cannot find Sam, you can use the console command
player.moveto 000A96A0to teleport directly to him.
- Sam can spawn at any of the inns across Skyrim, including those in towns, not just the ones in hold capitals.
- After completion of this quest, you may find Sanguine roaming around the fort Morvunskar, killing every mage he can find. Since he is essential, he will always win.
- Based on game data, an NPC called Drunk Cultist was meant to be part of this quest, but her reference is never activated.
- After completing the drink with Sam, you will not blackout.
- Simply wait a few seconds and attempt to speak with Sam again. The blackout occasionally lags long enough to seem broken, and does not occur if you run out of the inn in the interim.
- Use the console command
setstageto advance the quest. You may need to resurrect certain quest characters: Ysolda, Ennis and Senna. Each one of them must be alive to start the quest. From the console, to resurrect Ennis, for example, you can use:
prid 1CB2B enable resurrect 1 moveto player
1A69Aif you need to resurrect Ysolda, or
263CDfor Senna. You must be outside of any buildings.
- If you have the Conjuration perk "Elemental Potency", the Sanguine Rose will no longer work—the dremora will no longer summon. For now, as long as you will not choose this perk in level-up, the staff will work. The moment you add this perk, the staff will no longer function in summoning a dremora.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.5 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- Sometimes the trash in the Temple of Dibella or Moira won't appear.
- After you have spoken to Ennis and agreed to retrieve Gleda, it is possible that neither Gleda nor the giant will appear in the designated area.
- Using the "Persuade" option during dialogues in this quest may cause parts of the quest to skip ahead, leaving other parts unfinishable. Specifically, if you use the "Persuade" option instead of collecting the trash in the Temple of Dibella, the trash will remain a quest item, which will be stuck permanently in your inventory if you pick it up.
- Even if you don't collect the ingredients to repair the staff, the dialogue option saying that you found all of the items may appear.
- Once in Misty Grove, Sam may attack you on sight. Since he is immortal, he cannot be killed. You may have to load a past save file.
- If playing a female character, Ysolda's references to your "fiancée" switch back and forth between 'him' and 'her', though it will always be the (female) hagraven, Moira.
- Sometimes when you kill Moira she will not have the wedding ring in her inventory.
- After having your third drink with Sam, the screen will sometimes not black out and you will not be transported to the Temple, thus rendering the quest unobtainable. This happens if you kill Ysolda before drinking with Sam.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.5 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- After completing the quest and leaving Misty Grove, returning may cause you to be trapped in Misty Grove for eternity. Reloading an old save may fix this.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- Sam may disappear on you mid-sentence and nothing happens, so you're stuck in Misty Grove.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the first table: 10, 30, 40, 50, 60
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the second table: 0, 84, 110, 130, 165, 175, 185