|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Spellswords, Frostbite Spiders, Bashnag|
|The Art of War Magic|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|South of Helgen|
|# of Alchemy Labs||2|
|# of Arcane Enchanters||1|
|# of Forges/Anvils||1|
|# of Iron||1|
|# of Moonstone||3|
|# of Silver||1|
Southfringe Sanctum is a remote snowy cave that is home to the conjurer Bashnag and his coven. From Fort Neugrad, follow the trail that would lead to Falkreath looking for a trail that forks to the south. Following that southerly trail it will eventually lead to a small path down to Southfringe. An alchemy lab and a spellsword will be at its entrance. Use caution when entering as the first gate will have an elemental rune on it.
The cave entrance leads to a large main chamber with two parallel paths leading from it. The top path will lead towards Bashnag and his spellsword coven, while the bottom path will lead towards a giant frostbite spider lair. The main chamber itself is fairly large with trees growing in it. On the top will be a spellsword working on an anvil and a unique fox named Pumpkin. Unfortunately the cute little fox is hostile and has likely eaten his last chicken as you pass through the room. Continuing through the top is another spellsword working on an alchemy lab just before Bashnag's room. Bashnag himself is working on an arcane enchanter and like all the other diligent workers, may hardly seem to notice you. He carries a copy of the Destruction skill book The Art of War Magic. The dungeon's boss chest can be found in the corner of the room.
The frostbite spider area is a little more straightforward with lots of small-sized frostbite spiders alongside their giant-sized friend. Several egg sacs containing spider eggs can be found throughout this portion. Behind the giant frostbite spider's room you will find a very much alive Selveni Nethri strung up in webs. Cut her down and speak to her to begin a miscellaneous quest to help her escape the cave. Her dialogue indicates logical flow is to follow the path to the left instead of the right. Continue on and don't miss the chest as you pass walk down the ramp. She may need forceful encouragement to actually leave the cave though.
 Related Quests
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)
- Onmund's Request: Help Onmund negotiate the return of a family amulet from Enthir. (radiant)
- The Savior of Selveni Nethri: Help a necromancer escape from Southfringe Sanctum.
- Note: This location is one of many potential targets for one or more of the radiant quests found on this page.
 Ore Vein Locations
- One silver ore vein can be found in the main chamber, just north of Pumpkin (there may be a Spellsword mining it if you sneak up).
- One iron ore vein can be found nearby, just to your left as you face the silver ore vein.
- Another silver ore vein can be found due north, under an overhang that is more or less part of the path to the cave.
- Due south of the cave entrance, following the path to the blocked gate to Cyrodiil lies a moonstone ore vein.
- Two more moonstone ore veins can be found 510 ft southwest of the cave entrance .
- The cave appears to be very buggy with odd item placement and enemy behavior.
- The spellswords are all moderately tough, but commonly carry good staves making it a nice place for mages to come get some gear.
- To the north of the cave, at the cliffs where one can overwatch Fort Neugrad is a tree and a skeleton with a novice-locked chest containing leveled loot. In front of the chest is the Conjuration skill book The Warrior's Charge and on the skeleton is an iron war axe. A little to the west and behind a big rock can be found some silver ore.
- Selveni may not leave the cavern, leaving the quest unfinished. This can be fixed by commanding a follower to attack her, which will push her through the door and complete the quest. Using various shouts such as Ice Form and Unrelenting Force on her may work, as well as using archery.
- Behind the chest near Bashnag there is a small, but accessible, hole in the wall that goes to the void outside the level. To get back just walk through any wall (they are all one way).
- It's possible to explore the areas above Bashnag's room and enter the void part of the level or get stuck.
- Sometimes it is not possible to enter the cave. The player moves into the zone where the game should start loading the inside of the cave, but nothing happens. No "To Southfringe Sanctum" label appears.
- To fix this, exit the game (with command
qqq) and start it again, loading from where you are just in front of the cave. The cave should be accessible now. If the same happens during exiting the cave, just use
- To fix this, exit the game (with command
- Humanoid NPCs that are working will be non-hostile and only go hostile once interacted with, making them easy prey for sneak attacks and pickpocketing.