Skyrim:Uthgerd the Unbroken
|Uthgerd the Unbroken
|Location||The Bannered Mare|
|Primary Skills||Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, Block|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionWhiterun; Favor017QuestGiverFaction; PotentialFollowerFaction; PotentialMarriageFaction; TownWhiterunFaction; Whiterun Uthgerd the Unbroken's House Faction|
Uthgerd the Unbroken is a Nord warrior who lives in Whiterun. Talking to Uthgerd about her attitude will annoy her and an option to challenge her to a brawl, for a 100 septim bet, will open up. She is available as either a follower and/or a wife once you have defeated her in hand-to-hand combat.
Although she owns a house in town, she spends all her time sitting in the Bannered Mare, at times speaking to the flirtatious bard Mikael. She only ventures outside at the conclusion of the Companions quest Blood's Honor, when she will be in the crowd gathered in front of Jorrvaskr after the Silver Hand attack.
When sitting in her chair at the inn, Mikael will at times sit down next to her and they will chat, though he does not try to flirt with her as much as he does with other female NPCs that frequent the inn.
Whenever you approach her she will usually say, "Want to hear a little Nord wisdom? You don't really know a woman 'til you've had a strong drink and a fistfight with her." At other times, if she is in a bad mood, she may remark "Keep walkin', softgut. I'm more woman than you can handle."
You may also accept her challenge to fight her at any time. She will boast. "Think you can go blade to blade with me? You'd be dead in six seconds." at which point you can ask her if she can beat you to which she will reply: "And why not? I could beat anyone in this city, bare-handed. A hundred gold says I knock your hide to the ground." At this point you can accept or walk away. If you decide to take her up on her challenge she will be unafraid and say, "Just fists. No weapons, no magic... no crying. Let's go!" If you don't actually have enough gold she will laugh at you and remark, "Why don't you come back when you actually have a hundred gold?"
When you have beaten her she will be amazed and tell you, "Now that's what I call a punch. You got me." You can then tell her that you have earned your money which will cause her to say, "You're no liar. Best fight I've had in years. There you are." She will then offer her support in battle and tell you: "You ever need another blade at your side, just ask. Wouldn't mind seeing how you handle a few trolls."
In dialogue with her at any time, it is possible to ask her what her problem is. She will reveal that she tried to join the Companions, but during her trial she was pitted against an inferior opponent and accidentally killed him. She will complain that even if she was over-zealous in her trial, it isn't her fault that her opponent was not skilled enough to defend himself, and she still should have been admitted to the Companions.
She will tell you her side of the story by saying, "It wasn't my fault! I told them over and over that it was an accident! They wanted me to prove my worth, so they threw me up against a young whelp of a lad, hardly old enough to grow his first chin-hairs. I guess they thought a woman wasn't strong enough to hurt him. I didn't mean for him to die! Why would I want that? I just... lost control."
She will often tell you that: "The heat of battle is the fire that forges the strongest blades. It's an old Nord proverb. That, and a true Nord never misses a chance to test her worth."
She is skilled in most combat techniques, and will use staves in her inventory.
As your follower, you can trade items with her to take her house key, or when married she will give it to you if you choose to move in with her. Her home will be free to use as soon as you have defeated her, providing one of the earliest usable homes not faction related. It contains one bed and thirteen items of storage; only a few containers are safe for storage. The door lock always resets when you leave Whiterun.
 Related Quests
- The Bonds of Matrimony: Find someone in Skyrim to marry.
- Fight! Fight!: Prove your strength by wagering on a fist fight with another. (radiant)
- Rebuilding the Blades: Recruit new members for the Blades.
- Uthgerd is initially equipped with a two-handed weapon, even though she is in the CombatWarrior1H class.
- Uthgerd may disappear while being used as a follower. This occurs at very inconsistent times. She does not die, does not return to Whiterun, and the game no longer thinks you have a follower. There is also a chance you are not going to be able to recruit another follower if she disappears, so make sure you save often if you want her as a follower.
- As a follower, she seems to reset back to Whiterun without being dismissed. She does not retain any items given to her.
- If she is present at your wedding, whether as the bride or just a guest, Uthgerd may die or disappear from the game on her way back to Whiterun.
- She will occasionally attack you for no apparent reason upon entering the Bannered Mare. She will not accept your yield, so you may have to kill her. However, if you are able to sneak and stay out of her sight until she stops pursuing you, she will no longer be hostile. So long as you let her attack first, killing her does not count as a crime.
- Commit a minor crime in Whiterun in front of a guard and then clear your bounty using the usual methods. This should clear up her hostility.
- Select her in the console, use
setAV Aggression 0, then
- If you joined the Companions and brawled with Nazeem, the option to brawl Uthgerd will disappear.
- If you have the objective "see Jarl of whiterun" in your misc. quests related to the quest Battle for Whiterun, this makes it impossible to brawl with her until that quest is completed.