Skyrim:The Book of Love
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Dinya Balu in the Temple of Mara in Riften.
- Help Fastred, in Ivarstead, with her love interest.
- Help Calcelmo with his love.
- Help Ruki with her love.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Speaking to Dinya Balu in the Temple of Mara in Riften will initiate this quest. She will explain the visions that Mara has given her, and ask you to act in Mara's name to aid those who are having trouble with their love. After the second part of the quest, she will give you an Amulet of Mara to sense Mara's guidance, which you keep when the quest is completed.
First, Dinya will send you to Ivarstead to speak to Fastred. Fastred will tell you that she is in love with Bassianus Axius, but her parents will not let them be together; she will ask you to speak to them in that regard. Her mother Boti will reveal that she is not against the relationship, and even if Fastred were to run away from Ivarstead with Bassianus, she would do her best to handle her husband's ire. Fastred's father, Jofthor, on the other hand, will make it clear that he does not want his daughter to leave town, and that he believes she is barely infatuated with Bassianus and will soon change her mind, just as she did with her previous interest, Klimmek.
At this point, you can choose to talk to Bassianus, informing him of Boti's silent approval, or Klimmek, suggesting to him that he should be more bold in regard to Fastred. The man you speak to will then proceed to meet with Fastred; they'll have a brief conversation which you must watch to advance the quest. When the quest is completed, Bassianus will leave for Riften regardless of having favored him or not, though he will take Fastred with him if you favored him. In either case, return to Dinya Balu at the Temple of Mara to inform her of your success.
 Calcelmo and Faleen
Dinya Balu will send you on a second mission for Mara. You must travel to Markarth and speak to Calcelmo. Calcelmo likes Faleen, but is afraid of speaking to her. He doesn't know what to talk about and worries that he'll make a bad impression by raising the wrong topic. He asks you to find out more about her from her friend, Yngvar the Singer who is popular with women, but thankfully, Faleen is not his type. If you tell Yngvar that Calcelmo is interested in Faleen, he will offer for 200 gold a romantic poem ostensibly written by Calcelmo. Bring this to Faleen. She will be touched and write Calcelmo an encouraging letter in response.
Give the letter to Calcelmo and he will run off to meet her. Follow him to see them express their mutual affection in person, and the quest will complete.
Note: If you complete this quest after the Stormcloaks have claimed Markarth, Faleen will have been relocated to Solitude. This will cause Calcelmo to run all the way from Markarth to Solitude to speak to her. If that happens, fast-travel to the Blue Palace to witness their conversation and complete the quest.
 Ruki and Fenrig
Return to Dinya Balu for one final quest to restore the love in Skyrim; a long-dead couple need your aid to find each other, and eternal peace. Dinya will give you an Amulet of Mara, which you will need to have equipped in order to see the couple. A ghost by the name of Ruki is standing at Gjukar's Monument. She thinks that she is still alive, and standing amidst the remnants of a battle that actually occurred long ago. She searches for her love, Fenrig, as she had word that the battle did not go well, but she has been unable to find his body.
Following your quest marker to Fenrig brings you to his ghost, who believes he is still at camp on the eve of the battle, having apparently been killed in an enemy raid prior to the battle itself. You give him word that his Ruki has come looking for him, and he agrees to follow you. Bring him back to Ruki and they will be confused, but happy that they are together. Watch their spirits ascend into the sky to an eternity together amongst the stars, and return to Dinya Balu for your reward.
- Once the quest is over, you can keep the free Amulet of Mara that Dinya gives you, to aid you in finding a spouse.
- Dinya Balu will not give out the quest Spread the Love while this quest is active.
- If you watch carefully as Ruki and Fenrig are lifted into the sky, you can notice that they will experience a sudden drop before becoming invisible.
- If you have completed the civil war quest line for the Imperial Legion after giving Markarth to the Stormcloaks in Season Unending, Yngvar the Singer will be in Windhelm with the other captured Stormcloak supporters. Simply go in the Palace of the Kings and he will be at the table before the throne.
- If Markarth is under the control of the Stormcloaks, Faleen will be in Solitude along with the exiled Jarl Igmund. This will cause Calcelmo to travel by foot to Solitude after you notify him that you delivered the poem.
- After choosing which suitor succeeds for Fastred you must follow him to her and observe the conversation between the lovers, otherwise the quest will not update and you can't receive the next quest in the chain.
- Unlike the "Agent of Dibella" reward, this quest reward is listed as "Resist Magic" in Active Effects rather than "Agent of Mara".
- It is possible to avoid mentioning Calcelmo entirely while talking to Yngvar about the love poem, yet his name will still appear on the poem - "from Calcelmo to Faleen".
- Fenrig may vanish after asking you to lead the way to Ruki and never reappear. If you then either fast travel or run to Ruki, she has the quest marker indicating to talk to her next, but she does not respond.
- Advance the quest using the console command
setstage t02 100. Another console solution is using
prid 38288and then using
enable. This will bring Fenrig back and he will follow you.
- Provided no followers are with you, after speaking to Fenrig, when he responds stating: "If she's come this far from home..." exit the conversation and quickly fast travel to Ruki's location at the monument. Fenrig will have already joined your party and travel with you. Upon arrival, the scripted conversation between the two occurs and the quest updates as normal.
- If the other suggested fixes do not work for you after trying them try reloading before the quest. Speak to Ruki then when you talk to Fenrig simply allow him to finish his lines. If he seems to disappear do not panic. Just walk back to Ruki (not fast travel) and the scene when they talk and float into the air should happen normally. (ps3 1.8 update / dlc update. Tested on 3/9/13)
- Remove the amulet of Mara after speaking to Fenrig, and travel back to Ruki. If Fenrig disappears and you are unable to interact with Ruki, enter the items menu, remove the amulet and then exit the menu. The quest should update and inform you to equip the amulet and Ruki should disappear. If you then re-equip the amulet and wait a few moments, Ruki will appear again and move to interact with Fenrig, who also should have appeared nearby.
- Advance the quest using the console command
- If Ruki is attacked or attacks a dragon while she has the quest marker, she will not respond. It may be possible to fix this the same way as above.
- Both Ruki and Fenrig can ascend into the sky and then fall. After that, they ascend a few feet off of the ground and stay there.
- Simply reload the last known save before both meet to fix the issue. Waiting for one hour may also fix the problem.
- Picking up extra Amulets of Mara may cause you to be unable to equip the one that is given to you, which is required to progress the quest. This will prevent you from completing the quest.
- Use the console command
player.removeitem c891b x, where "x" is one less than the number of Amulets of Mara in your possession. This will remove all of the amulets except one.
- Use the console command