- "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." - Zurin Arctus, the Underking
A Hero (or Heroine) is a mortal blessed (and cursed, from another point of view) with a special fate and the ability to rule his or her own destiny. Heroes are closely related to the Elder Scrolls. They often grow to become far more powerful than most other mortals.
 Known Heroes
- Born in 3E 370, the hero reconstructed the Staff of Chaos and rescued Uriel Septim VII from his imprisonment at the hands of Jagar Tharn.
- The Hero of Daggerfall (known as the Agent)
- Born in 3E 375, the hero was sent as an agent of the Empire to exorcise the spirit of a dead king, but ended on a quest that would change all of northwestern Tamriel.
- The Hero of Battlespire (known as the Apprentice)
- Sent to the Battlespire to make way for the Shadow Legion, the hero found the spire captured by Mehrunes Dagon, and had to battle an army of Daedra to rescue their companion.
- Cyrus returned to Stros M'Kai to find his missing sister, and ended up leading his fellow Redguards in a rebellion against the empire.
- This male hero was sent to Vvardenfell as a prisoner of the empire to fulfill a prophecy. As destiny unfolded, the hero battled against living gods, and then, in the frozen wastes of Solstheim, against the champions of Hircine.
- The Hero of Stormhold (known as the Master Tunnel Rat)
- The hero was sent to Stormhold prison, where they were forced to clear the underground ruins in search of crystals. The hero slew the Mad Warden Quintus Varus, and used the Storm Crystal to remove the evil from the mining camp.
- The Hero of Dawnstar
- The hero was sent to the exile post of Dawnstar, which was besieged by the Ice Tribes. The hero revealed which of the town's champions was a traitor in league with the tribes, and emerged victorious from the ensuing battle.
- The Hero of Shadowkey (known as the Soul of Conflict)
- The hero's destiny began when their home village of Azra's Crossing was attacked by bandits during the War of the Bend'r-mahk. The hero becomes entrenched in the war, and learns of an evil incarnation being created with shadow magic and the conflict caused by the ongoing war. This Shadow of Conflict, or Umbra' Keth, was sought by Jagar Tharn and Pergan Asuul for their own ends. The hero gathered the seven Star Teeth and destroyed the monster.
- The Hero of Oblivion (known as the Hero of Kvatch, Savior of Bruma, Champion of Cyrodiil, Divine Crusader, or Madgod of the Shivering Isles)
- Released by chance from prison in the Imperial City, this hero's tale began as a courier for Uriel VII and ended in the salvation of all Tamriel from the forces of Mehrunes Dagon. The hero saved Tamriel again by reuniting the Relics of the Divine Crusader, defeating Umaril the Unfeathered, and even visited Sheogorath's realm of insanity to battle the Daedric prince Jyggalag and end an eons-long cycle of order and chaos, becoming the new Sheogorath, Prince of Madness.
- The Hero of Skyrim (known as the Dragonborn or Dovahkiin, the Last Dragonborn; or Ysmir, Dragon of the North)
- The hero was trying to cross the border into Skyrim but was caught by the Empire and sent to the village of Helgen to be executed. However, Alduin attacked the settlement, which allowed the hero to escape. This hero is the Last Dragonborn from the prophecy of Alduin's Wall. With the help of the last Blades and the Greybeards, the hero entered Sovngarde and defeated Alduin, banishing the evil from Tamriel. The hero also quested to recover lost Elder Scrolls concerning a vampire plot to blot out the sun, and journeyed to Solstheim to stop the return of Miraak, the First Dragonborn.
- ^ Oblivion in-game messages at Doomstones
- ^ Remarks by Dyus and Jyggalag state that the fate of the Hero of Oblivion is blurred and uncertain, as the Hero defies all their logical formulae.
- ^ a b Tamriel's Timeline, The Daggerfall Chronicles — Ronald Wartow
- ^ Neloth's dialogue in Dragonborn
- ^ The Oblivion Crisis — Praxis Sarcorum, Imperial Historian
- ^ The events of the Shivering Isles plug-in
- ^ Sheogorath's dialogue in Shivering Isles
- ^ The Book of the Dragonborn — Prior Emelene Madrine, Order of Talos, Weynon Priory
- ^ Arngeir's dialogue in Skyrim