|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
game references need to be removed; needs a more historical style, and information specific to the continent
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's .
Tamriel (meaning "Dawn's Beauty" in Aldmeris and "Starry Heart" in Ehlnofex; Taazokaan in the Dragon Language), also known as the Arena, is the continent upon which all of the Elder Scrolls games are set. Arena was the only game to include locations across the entire continent. While all of Tamriel was once united under the Empire, at the beginning of the third century of the Fourth Era the Empire comprises only Cyrodiil, High Rock, and Skyrim—and Skyrim's continued loyalty is questioned.
- Cyrodiil is the center and capital of the Empire, home of the Imperial race, and of the Emperor himself. This province is the setting for the game Oblivion.
- Black Marsh is the swampland to the southeast of Cyrodiil, home to the Argonians.
- Elsweyr is composed of the deserts and jungles to the south of Cyrodiil and is home to the Khajiit.
- Hammerfell, a sunbaked region to the northwest of Cyrodiil, is home to the Redguards. This province is part of the setting for the game Daggerfall. Additionally, the game Redguard was set on the island of Stros M'Kai, which is part of Hammerfell.
- High Rock, a feudal patchwork of small baronies and large city states to the north of Hammerfell, is home to the Bretons. This province is part of the setting for the game Daggerfall.
- Morrowind, a varied region to the northeast of Cyrodiil, is dominated by the island of Vvardenfell and its volcano. The Dunmer call this province home; it is the setting for the game Morrowind.
- Skyrim, an alpine province of mountain ranges and river valleys to the north of Cyrodiil, is home to the Nords. This province is the setting for the game Skyrim.
- Summerset Isle actually refers to several islands to the southwest of Cyrodiil across the Abecean Sea. It is home to the Altmer.
- Valenwood, a densely forested area to the south of Cyrodiil, is home to the Bosmer.
Other lands are known to exist, though they have never been seen in games. They include:
- Akavir: an often hostile continent to the east of Tamriel
- Aldmeris: a fabled continent from which the Aldmer came to Tamriel
- Atmora: a frigid continent to the north, home to the ancestors of the Nords
- Cathnoquey: a region of land that lies between Tamriel and Akavir
- Esroniet: a small island kingdom that lies between Tamriel and Akavir
- Pyandonea: a continent to the far southwest of Tamriel, home to the Maormer
- Roscrea: a region of land that lies between Tamriel and Atmora
- Thras: an archipelago to the southwest of Tamriel, home of the Sload
- Yneslea: a region of land that lies between Tamriel and Akavir
- Yokuda: a ruined collection of islands blasted by a cataclysm to the west of Tamriel, original home of the Redguards