Skyrim:Touching the Sky
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Locate Auriel's Bow.
- Speak to Gelebor.
- Fill the Initiate's Ewer.
- Kill Vyrthur.
- Retrieve Auriel's Bow.
 Detailed Walkthrough
After learning the location of Auriel's Bow, travel to Darkfall Cave. The cave is very dark, so you may wish to light your way using torches, the Vampire's Sight ability, or light spells. Follow the path, past a frostbite spider until you come to a bridge and what seems like a dead end. There are a few moonstone rocks, and a pickaxe here as well.
Once you try to cross back over the bridge, you will be forced, by either a rock trap or the bridge collapsing, into a very fast moving underground river that sends you downstream. Try to keep your head above the water, unless you have a waterbreathing ability. Eventually, you'll be thrown out of the current, and attacked by a few frostbite spiders. Continue along the path, until you reach a small camp. If you have Serana, she'll make a remark about how horrible the sight is. At this point, you have a few options. There are two visible paths. The first one, right behind the dead Breton, will lead you on a winding path, straight to a room with two trolls. The other path will take you through an area with spiderwebs blocking your way; destroy them to reveal a giant frostbite spider that may be fighting with a vampire. Eventually, you will find a large open area containing two trolls. Alternatively, you may skip the trolls' room by pulling the chain hidden behind the dead Breton's lean-to and taking the passage it reveals.
At the other end of the large cave you will meet Knight-Paladin Gelebor, one of the last two Snow Elves. He tells you that in exchange for his help obtaining Auriel's Bow, you have to slay his brother, Vyrthur, who was corrupted by Falmer, which he calls "The Betrayed". Vyrthur is hiding in the Inner Sanctum of the Forgotten Vale, a gigantic outdoor elven ruin with Ayleid-like architecture. In order to make your way there you must fill a jug, the Initiate's Ewer, with water from five wayshrines: the Wayshrines of Illumination, Learning, Radiance, Resolution, and Sight.
The first wayshrine is at the end of a long, dark trek through Darkfall Cave, where you will encounter several leveled Falmer and chaurus. Be sure to destroy any chaurus cocoons you come across before they have a chance to hatch. To get to the wayshrine, just follow the winding path, illuminated by odd pink flowers that disappear as you walk past.
The second wayshrine can be found soon after emerging from Darkfall Cave into the Forgotten Vale. It is to the north of the path that climbs up out of the entry vale through the arches. The third will be found after continuing up the path, passing through a narrow pass inhabited by frostbite spiders, then dropping down to a narrow river valley. The wayshrine is located just downstream from where the path reaches the river bank. After crossing the river below the third wayshrine, zig zag southwest and northwest up the steep path to a large, frozen lake. Beware the two dragons, Naaslaarum and Voslaarum, that will attack you as you cross the frozen lake (if Dragon Rising has been completed). The fourth wayshrine is above the northwest bank of the lake. Don't forget to pick up a Shout from the large rock jutting out from the middle of the lake on the eastern side of the lake.
The fifth and final wayshrine can only be reached after a long, arduous trek through Forgotten Vale and Glacial Crevice. Before entering the Glacial Crevice go right over a bridge. Keep going and you will come to a small Falmer hut which houses Unknown Book, Vol. III, "FAIRE AGARWEN LIFE RECORD" (See Forgotten Vale Books Quest). Go back and enter the entrance to Glacial Crevice. The initial path through Forgotten Vale takes you through a series of Falmer dwellings nestled in among the cliffs above the river, and connected by a series of rope bridges and stone ramps. Fight your way through the leveled Falmer that call this area home, then enter Glacial Crevice. This area consists of a series of glacial chambers with icy ledges and rope bridges that ascend among a scattering of Falmer tents. Dispose of the many leveled Falmer that occupy this zone until you once again emerge out to Forgotten Vale. This final part of the Vale consists of a confusing maze of Falmer tents and platforms crowded within a series of narrow, twisting canyons. Pick up the Unknown Book Vol. IV from a hut in the 2nd village, before the wayshrine. The ascent to the final wayshrine is a tunnel found on the canyon floor at the very end of the Falmer village.
Down the path from the Wayshrine of Radiance is the Inner Sanctum. Upon entering, you will find many frozen Falmer and chaurus in the entry chamber. Many of the Falmer hold items that can be looted, which may cause one of more of them to break out of their icy state and attack. Place the Initiate's Ewer on the pedestals to open gates as you make your way to Vyrthur's chamber. During battle, he causes the ceiling to periodically collapse as he awakens several waves of Falmer and chaurus to attack. When all frozen enemies are gone, he will collapse the rest of the roof on you and a cut scene will commence. You will wake up with Serana telling you to get up and get on the balcony. You will be able to move during this scene but cannot take any other action during the dialogue sequence until Serana's confrontation with Vyrthur is completed. After she releases him, you will be free to act and it is up to you to finish him off. Avoid blasting him off the balcony if you wish to loot his body for some ancient Falmer armor. When Vyrthur is dead, a wayshrine will appear and Gelebor will come through. He will be surprised at the real reason for Vyrthur's actions, and thank you, telling you that you deserve to carry Auriel's Bow. He will also bless some Sunhallowed arrows for you if you ask, and remain there if you wish to come back for more at any time.
- You may use Auriel's Bow to blot out the sun. It will not be permanent; it will only last for a few hours.
- After a wayshrine is opened, it will contain portals to the other opened wayshrines, as well as to Darkfall Cave. One exception is the Wayshrine of Sight which has no portal to the Wayshrine of Resolution, even if discovered and opened.[verification needed — see ]
- If you lost your second follower on entering Ancestor's Glade, you will have an opportunity at the end of this quest to regain that slot. Right after you kill the boss, Serana will stop following you around again (as during the end of Chasing Echoes) and you can fast travel away to grab a second follower. There isn't a direct return point, but you can fast travel back to Forgotten Vale and use the portals, then run quickly back through the castle and finish the quest by speaking with the NPC waiting for you and taking Auriel's Bow. This time, your second follower slot should be permanent - though you should make sure to have two followers for 'Kindred Judgement' and any plot quests that are instanced. And never dismiss Serana or you will lose the second slot.
- If you have not killed Naaslarum and Voslaarum it is possible for one of them to fly to the balcony and interfere in the fight with Vyrthur. They can even kill him for you.
- South of the Temple balcony is a hanging valley with a waterfall pouring from it down to the frozen lake. This valley is the location that the Emerald Paragon gives access to, and can be reached from the balcony by using the Become Ethereal shout and careful cliff walking.
Note: Nearly all of the bugs mentioned below occur because Gelebor, Serana, or Vyrthur have uncompleted scripts running. Be sure to allow any dialogue they are speaking to complete before taking further action. Also, make sure that the scripted actions with the Initiate's Ewer and the Wayshrines have completed before going on to the next wayshrine.
- When you have finished collecting the ewer, and are about to pour it in the basin, it won't react and you will be stuck.
- If you have this problem, open the console and enter
GetStage DLC1VQ07. If it returns 132.00, that means that somehow the quest progressed past the next stage of the quest. Since you cannot go back stages, the only way to solve this problem would be to use SetStage for every stage past "Gain Entry to the Inner Sanctum" until the current stage number is above 132 (meaning
SetStage DLC1VQ07 200, completing the quest, giving you the bow, and starting the next quest). This will mean skipping quite a lot of stages, but there's no way to fix this bug at the moment without skipping.
- Alternatively you can use console command
SetStage 110(assuming you are just stuck at the basin).
- If coc is useless, and your queststage is 110, try this way to save it: Get the sapphire paragon and use it. You must use console command
tcl, and then you can gain entry to the Inner Sunctum (remember to use
tclagain after gaining entry). Then, leave from the Inner Sunctum via the door, and Serana will be with you again.
- If you have this problem, open the console and enter
- When given the objective to fill the Initiates Ewer, one of the wayshrines may not give you any water making the quest impossible to complete.
- Sometimes you cannot kill Arch-Curate Vyrthur, not even using 'kill' in console.
- When you activate the first wayshrine, sometimes a portal doesn't appear.
- Reloading an earlier save fixes it.
- After confronting Arch-Curate Vyrthur and defeating the first wave of unfrozen enemies, he may not react and spawn a second wave, ceasing quest progress.
- Each subsequent wave will only occur after all mobilized enemies have been killed. These enemies are not the frozen ones standing about but are spawned as the waves progress, sometimes replacing the frozen variety. Sometimes they spawn inside the architecture or get stuck in odd places. If area effect spells cannot kill them reloading a save is your only recourse. After each wave there is a pause before Vyrthur gives another rant and unleashes the next wave. Sending an arrow or two, or an area damage spell in his direction may speed things along a little.
- Sometimes Knight-Paladin Gelebor will not be able to activate the first wayshrine.
- Open the console and select Gelebor, enter the code
enable. Repeat if he bugs further along the quest. This also works for the conversation between him and Serana.
- You can fix this problem by using the console command
setstage DLC1VQ07 50. This fix will not work unless Serana is next to you when you first speak with Gelebor (if she was stuck somewhere back in the path). Serana has extensive dialogue exchange with Gelebor which leads to him giving you the Initiate's Ewer. Without the Ewer in your inventory, advancing the quest stage to open the Wayshrine will not help you.[verification needed — is this true?]
- Reload a previous save and repeat until his spell activates the wayshrine.
- Open the console and select Gelebor, enter the code
- The final objective to 'Retrieve Auriel's Bow' may not properly register as completed as it should, even after picking it up. A message signifying the quest's completion will still turn up, though the game ceases to progress after that. Neither Serana nor Gelebor will have proper dialogue options, and the following quest 'Kindred Judgement' does not begin.
- Sometimes Serana will attack Gelebor immediately after you finish the first dialogue with him, ceasing quest progression.
- Sometimes after finishing the quest, Serana will not have the dialogue to start Kindred Judgment but will allow you to use her blood to make Bloodcursed arrows.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 35, 36, 60, 65, 70, 80, 81, 82, 85, 86, 87, 90, 91, 92, 95, 96, 97, 105, 130, 131, 132.
|Prev: Unseen Visions||Up: Dawnguard or
Volkihar Vampire Clan
|Next: Kindred Judgment|
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|