The Bitter Coast, named for the salt marshes along the coast, is the part of Vvardenfell's coast nearest to the mainland of Morrowind. This largely uninhabited area is in the far southwest of Vvardenfell and lies between the mountains of the West Gash to the east and the Inner Sea to the west. The northern boundary of the region is generally considered to be marked by Khartag Point just north of Gnaar Mok, and it follows the coast south and eastward through the tiny fishing and smuggling village of Hla Oad, the Imperial outpost at Seyda Neen, and finally merging into terrain more reminiscent of the Ascadian Isles just west of Vivec.
The Bitter Coast is dominated by humid, putrid swamps and salt marshes. The giant bull netch float gently through the air, fearing no cliff racer or mudcrab. Off the coast, divers find kollops with pearls, but even more slaughterfish and man-like dreugh with their hard shells and tentacles. Herbalists came to this region to harvest the various mushrooms which thrived in the marshy environment. The region is also known as The Smuggler's Coast, since the secluded coves and islands are littered with smugglers operating out of their hidden caves. The ever-present fog and rain provide additional cover for their boats. No major action has been taken to curtail their actions, as many smugglers count on support from locals unhappy with high taxes on liquor. The Bitter Coast is a swamp, plain and simple. Great, ragged trees provide a canopy beneath which pools of stagnant water grow a steady incursion of green-brown moss. Local flora is replete with fungi including bungler's bane, hypha facia and violet coprinus, and the stagnant pools can reward the strong-stomached with glowing ampoule pods. Local fauna is mostly predatory, but not all that dangerous to the traveler unless that traveler has a penchant for standing in one place for a few months while the mosses work at his armor. The few truly dangerous creatures on the Bitter Coast are kwama foragers and nix-hounds, the latter of which are delicious and useful for making potions once hit over the head with a sharp object a few times.
The unwary traveler venturing into the open waters off the coast is in another league, however. The eternally persistent slaughterfish is thought by some to be a distant cousin to the cliff racer, as their temperament is so similar.
A list of quests that are related to the Bitter Coast.
- Stronghold: Build your House stronghold, Rethan Manor, in three phases.
- Control the Ordinators: Talk with Archcanon Saryoni on how to control the Ordinators.
- Velfred the Outlaw: Find an outlaw and get him to pay his smuggling fees.
- Kill Necromancer Telura Ulver: Take care of a former guild member that has turned to the dark art of Necromancy.
- Missing Limeware: Recover a limeware bowl stolen from the chapel by an Altmer named Caryarel.
- Restless Spirit: Calm the restless spirit of murdered Julielle Aumine who is haunting Okur in Hla Oad.
- The Scroll of Fiercely Roasting: Find this artifact in the shrine of Ashalmimilkala, on the west coast.
- Boethiah's Quest: Restore the glory of this forgotten Daedra Lord.
- Malacath's Quest: End the bloodline of a false hero.
- Ultimatum for Carecalmo: Deliver an ultimatum to Carecalmo, a worshipper of Mehrunes Dagon who is aiding the Dark Brotherhood.
- Writ for Brilnosu Llarys: Execute Llarys in the Hlormaren stronghold.
- Ahnassi, a Special Friend: A great romance awaits for those male characters brave enough to try.
- A Falling Wizard: Encounter a falling wizard and investigate his belongings.
- Fjol the Outlaw: Investigate the reports of an outlaw near town for Larrius Varro at Moonmoth Legion Fort.
Bitter Coast Places
Cities and Settlements
- Seyda Neen — A small Imperial trading post in the southern Bitter Coast, and the port where the game is begun.
- Hla Oad — A tiny fishing village and smuggler's stop-off on the Bitter Coast.
- Gnaar Mok — A Hlaalu fishing village on the Bitter Coast.
- Rethan Manor — A Hlaalu stronghold located on the Odai Plateau, southwest of Balmora.
- Andrano Ancestral Tomb — A medium-sized tomb halfway on the road between Seyda Neen and Pelagiad.
- Andrethi Ancestral Tomb — A tomb just west over the mountains from Balmora.
- Heran Ancestral Tomb — A small tomb on the Bitter Coast, south of Hla Oad.
- Norvayn Ancestral Tomb — A large tomb northeast of Hlormaren in the Bitter Coast region.
- Samarys Ancestral Tomb — A medium-sized tomb on the Bitter Coast northwest of Seyda Neen.
- Sarys Ancestral Tomb — A medium-sized tomb on an island off the Bitter Coast, west of Seyda Neen and south of the Odai Plateau.
- Thelas Ancestral Tomb — A small tomb west of Seyda Neen on the Bitter Coast.
- Abernanit — Located on the center of the peninsula east from Gnaar Mok.
- Addamasartus — A small slavers' cave immediately to the northeast of Seyda Neen.
- Aharunartus — A small slaver hideout, located on a remote island a good way west of Seyda Neen, past the peninsula.
- Assemanu — A Sixth House cave on a small island west of Vivec's Hlaalu Canton.
- Ilunibi — Located near Khartag Point, on a small island north of Gnaar Mok.
- Mallapi — A cave to the northeast of Gnaar Mok.
- Sennananit — A cave that has been taken over by the Sixth House.
- Shal — A small cave north of Hla Oad on the west coast of Vvardenfell.
- Shurinbaal — A small smuggler's cave in the swamp directly southwest of Gnaar Mok.
- Yasamsi — A small bandit cave south of Hla Oad on the Bitter Coast.
- Zainsipilu — A small bandit cave southeast of Hla Oad.
- Zanabi — A cave directly westwards over the hills from Balmora.
- Addadshashanammu — A Daedric shrine to Sheogorath, located on an island northwest of Hlormaren, with its entrance facing northwest to the sea.
- Ashalmimilkala — A shrine to Mehrunes Dagon southwest of the Hlormaren stronghold.
- Ashurnibibi — A shrine to Malacath on an isle north of Hla Oad.
- Andasreth — A stronghold in a pocket desert of the West Gash region.
- Hlormaren — A Dunmer stronghold that lies just west of Balmora.
- Band Egg Mine — A medium-sized egg mine to the west of Caldera.
- Abaesen-Pulu Egg Mine — Located on the Bitter Coast approximately halfway between Seyda Neen and Vivec, just north off the road.
- Grytewake — A smuggler's ship located at a secluded harbor along the Bitter Coast southwest of Hla Oad.
- Harpy — A boat owned by Baleni Salavel, operating from the docks in Hla Oad.
- Priggage — A small open boat in Gnaar Mok belonging to Valveli Arelas, who offers travel services.
- Neglected Shipwreck — A sunken vessel off Khartag Point, close to the Dunmer stronghold of Andasreth.
- Shunned Shipwreck — A vessel run aground at the bottom of the sea some way due southwest from the abandoned shack in Gnaar Mok.
- Unexplored Shipwreck — A vessel wrecked just where the Odai River runs into the sea on Morrowind's southwestern coast.
- Remote Shipwreck — A vessel that ran aground on an island south of Seyda Neen and west of Vivec's Hlaalu Canton.
|Fjol||Nord||Barbarian||8||106||72||50||50||[-6,-4]||Road Agent, wanted by Larrius Varro|
|Processus Vitellius||Imperial||Agent||Imperial Cult (Novice)||5||0||96||0||30||[-3,-9]||Already dead|
|Tarhiel||Bosmer||Enchanter||6||5||22||0||0||[-3,-8]||Blacksmith; Merchant (sort of)|
|Velfred the Outlaw||Nord||Barbarian||17||166||86||90||30||[-7,-6]|