Canis Root is harvested from small, gnarled bushes. In the Rift, the bushes are found in birch woods near rock formations or at the base of cliffs. They are also found in swampy regions such as Hjaalmarch and along the northern coast of Haafingar.
51 guaranteed samples can be found in 32 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 5 in the Hall of Countenance (College of Winterhold)
- 3 in Broken Tower Redoubt (The Reach)
- 3 in Cragwallow Slope (Eastmarch)
- 3 in Dead Men's Respite (Hjaalmarch)
- 3 in the Midden (Winterhold)
With the Dragonborn add-on 22 more guaranteed samples can be found in 7 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
It is categorized as an uncommon ingredient, meaning that all apothecary merchants have a 15% chance of carrying 1-5 samples. In addition, it may be randomly found in uncommon- and rare-type apothecary's satchels.
There are 551 canis root plants found in 84 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 24 around Folgunthur (Hjaalmarch)
- 20 around the Apprentice Stone (Hjaalmarch)
- 20 around Pinepeak Cavern (The Rift)
- 19 around Movarth's Lair (Hjaalmarch)
- 18 around Autumnshade Clearing (The Rift)
- 17 around Ruins of Bthalft (The Rift)
- 17 around Shor's Stone (The Rift)
- 15 around Fort Greenwall (The Rift)
- According to the book On Lycanthropy, found in the game Daggerfall, a Skyrim tradition is to rub canis root on trees as a ward against werebears. However, there are no werebears present in Skyrim, perhaps denoting this tradition's success.
- Neloth is particularly fond of canis root tea, though you cannot actually make tea from canis roots ingame.