|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
This article is about the Dawnguard version of this mission. For the vampire version, see Prophet (Vampire).
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Isran, then to Serana.
- Locate a Moth Priest.
- Search along the road south of Dragon Bridge.
- Investigate the scene of the attack.
- Rescue the Moth Priest from Forebears' Holdout.
- Report back to Isran.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Isran will ask you to locate a Moth Priest. If you ask Serana for advice, she'll suggest asking someone in the College of Winterhold. Alternatively, you may ask carriage drivers or innkeepers. Not all of these people will have information for you, but eventually one will direct you to Dragon Bridge.
Travel to Dragon Bridge, and ask around. Someone will mention that the Moth Priest was just there, and you will be directed to the southern trail (across the bridge), where you will find a destroyed wagon and some dead bodies. Find a note on the dead vampire. It guides you to Forebears' Holdout, a cave very close to the crash.
Make your way through the cave, and you will eventually see the Moth Priest, Dexion Evicus. He is trapped; when you free him he will attack. After you defeat him he will apologize, and when you tell him you need him to read the Elder Scrolls, he will agree to come with you to the Fort Dawnguard. He will read the scroll you have and find out you need to do more, leading to the next quest.
- After rescuing the Moth Priest and returning to Fort Dawnguard all the ordinary Dawnguard members will start greeting you as a friend, and become available as followers. Also, at the same time, if you are not already Blood-Kin to the Orcs, Durak will grant you that status.
- If Dexion is outside of the magic barrier when you first see him, or if you manage to speak with him and tell him to meet you at Fort Dawnguard before he becomes hostile towards you, he ends up becoming permanently hostile after that point.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.3 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
- Reloading and making sure he is in the magic barrier, then playing the quest sequence in the proper order (rescue, defeat, then speak to him) will resolve this.
- It is also possible to use Bend WillDB on Dexion if you've got two or more words of the shout to let him stop attacking everyone.
- If reloading does not get Dexion to spawn inside the magic barrier, it is also possible to complete the quest by simply not interacting with the magic barrier. You can defeat the vampires and send Dexion to Fort Dawnguard without him ever turning hostile. Deactivating the magic barrier is not mandatory for completing the quest and if you looted the Weystone Focus from Malkus's body, it will cease to be a quest item (and thus can be dropped) after reporting back to Isran.
- Doing this may turn the Dawnguard hostile towards you.
- Before quest stage 41, use the console command
prid xx007B88, followed by
- It is also possible to fix this by adding him to your own faction via the console. Select him by clicking on him or typing
prid xx007B88, and then typing
addfac 0005A1A4 1.
- If the previous solution doesn't work for you, select Dexion, and use the console command
- Malkus may spawn inside the magic barrier, not allowing you to loot the Weystone Focus key needed to deactivate the barrier.
- After the cutscene between Isran, Gunmar, and Sorine when you first enter the fort, the three NPCs can become stuck as "busy" when given the quest update to follow Isran.
- Walking through the main gate to outside then waiting 24 hours, or curing yourself from vampirism if you became a normal vampire when you have chosen the Dawnguard side, can possibly fix this. This is caused by two divergent scripts running at the same time.
- After Dexion finishes reading the Elder Scroll, the quest dialogue might not progress.
- Use the console command
setstage DLC1VQ03Hunter 200to complete the quest.
- Use the console command
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 61, 67.
|Prev: A New Order||Up: Dawnguard||Next: Chasing Echoes and Seeking Disclosure|
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|