Trainers can provide lessons that increase your skill level in their area of expertise in exchange for gold. You may train up to five times per level only, and trainers cannot raise skills past 90- you must obtain the last ten points by using the skill, skill books, or from quest rewards.
|Arcadia||Arcadia's Cauldron in Whiterun||Merchant (Apothecary)|
|Milore Ienth(DB)||Raven Rock(DB)||Merchant (Apothecary)|
|Babette||The Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary; you must join the Dark Brotherhood to use her services||Merchant (Apothecary)|
|Dravynea the Stoneweaver||Kynesgrove|
|Tolfdir||College of Winterhold; you must be a member of the College of Winterhold to receive training from him||Spell Merchant (Alteration)|
|Aela the Huntress||Jorrvaskr in Whiterun; you must be a member of the Companions to receive training from her||Follower|
|Niruin||Thieves Guild; you must be a member of the Thieves Guild to receive training from him|
|Sorine Jurard(DG)||Fort Dawnguard(DG)|
|Njada Stonearm||Jorrvaskr in Whiterun; you must be a member of the Companions to receive training from her||Follower|
|Chief Larak||Mor Khazgur|
|Phinis Gestor||College of Winterhold; you must be a member of the College of Winterhold to receive training from him||Spell Merchant (Conjuration)|
|Falion||Morthal, inside his house||Spell Merchant (General)|
|Talvas Fathryon(DB)||Tel Mithryn(DB)||Spell Merchant (General) / Follower|
|Wuunferth the Unliving||Windhelm, Palace of the Kings Upstairs||Spell Merchant (General)|
|Sybille Stentor||The Blue Palace in Solitude||Spell Merchant (General)|
|Faralda||The College of Winterhold, usually in the Hall of Countenance; you must be a member of the College of Winterhold to receive training from her||Spell Merchant (Destruction)|
|Sergius Turrianus||College of Winterhold, within the Hall of the Elements or the Hall of Countenance; you must be a member of the College of Winterhold to receive training from him|
|Hamal||Markarth, usually found in the Temple of Dibella|
|Neloth(DB)||Tel Mithryn(DB)||Spell Merchant (General)|
|Heavy Armor Training|
|Farkas||Jorrvaskr in Whiterun; you must be a member of the Companions to receive training from him||Follower|
|Isran(DG)||Inside Fort Dawnguard(DG)|
|Kuvar(DB)||Bujold's Retreat(DB) or Thirsk Mead Hall(DB)|
|Atub||Largashbur; you must complete The Cursed Tribe to receive training from her||Apothecary|
|Drevis Neloren||College of Winterhold, within the Hall of Countenance; you must be a member of the College of Winterhold to receive training from him||Spell Merchant (Illusion)|
|Light Armor Training|
|Scouts-Many-Marshes||The docks outside of Windhelm|
|Grelka||Riften Market from 8am to 8pm, stays at Haelga's Bunkhouse at night||Merchant (General)|
|Nazir||The Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary; you must be a member of the Dark Brotherhood to receive training from him|
|Ma'jhad||Ma'dran's Khajiit caravan—travels between Solitude and Windhelm||Merchant (Fence)|
|Vex||Ragged Flagon; you must be a member of the Thieves Guild to receive training from her|
|Amren||Wanders inner Whiterun during the day, near the market at 6pm|
|Athis||Jorrvaskr in Whiterun; you must be a member of the Companions to receive training from him||Follower|
|Silda the Unseen||Windhelm, outside of Candlehearth Hall or Blacksmith Quarters||Beggar (Blessing of Charity)|
|Vipir the Fleet||Thieves Guild; you must be a member of the Thieves Guild to receive training from him|
|Aphia Velothi(DB)||Raven Rock(DB)|
|Colette Marence||College of Winterhold, inside The Arcanaeum; you must be a member of the College of Winterhold to receive training from her||Spell Merchant (Restoration)|
|Keeper Carcette||The Hall of the Vigilant within The Pale|
|Danica Pure-Spring||Whiterun, Temple of Kynareth; you must complete The Blessings of Nature to receive training from her|
|Florentius Baenius(DG)||Fort Dawnguard(DG)||Merchant (Apothecary)|
|Balimund||Riften, just outside The Scorched Hammer||Merchant (Blacksmith)|
|Eorlund Gray-Mane||Whiterun, at the Skyforge; you must be a member of the Companions to receive training from him||Merchant (Blacksmith)|
|Gunmar(DG)||Fort Dawnguard(DG)||Merchant (Blacksmith)|
|Khayla||Ri'saad's Khajiit caravan—travels between Markarth and Whiterun|
|Delvin Mallory||Ragged Flagon; you must be either a member of the Thieves Guild or a member of the Dark Brotherhood who has sold him the Jeweled Amulet to receive training from him|
|Dro'marash||Ahkari's Khajiit caravan—travels between Dawnstar and Riften|
|Revyn Sadri||Windhelm, Sadri's Used Wares||Merchant (General)|
|Ogmund the Skald||Markarth|
|Giraud Gemane||The Bards College in Solitude|
|Fura Bloodmouth (DG)||Volkihar Keep(DG)|
|Vilkas||Jorrvaskr in Whiterun; you must be a member of the Companions to receive training from him||Follower|
|Wulf Wild-Blood(DB)||Skaal Village(DB)|
- Angi will offer you free practice at her home. You can increase your Archery skill by up to six levels if you accept.
- The list of trainers in the Official Game Guide incorrectly identifies several people as trainers: Ahkari (Pickpocket), Hermir Strong-Heart (Heavy Armor), and Melaran (Alteration) do not provide training.
- The cost for having a skill trained is calculated using the below formulas, based on your current skill level (not the level you are going to). Price adjustment effects, such as speechcraft level, persuasion level, and enhancements such as Fortify Persuasion and Fortify Barter, do not affect trainers' rates.
- For advancement of skills less than or equal to 50:
- n(10b + 5n + 45)
- For advancement of skills greater than 50:
- n(30b + 15n + 35)
- For advancement of skills greater than 75:
- n(50b + 25n + 25)
- Where n is the number of times you wish to train and b is the current level of the skill. E.g.: If you wish to train a particular skill from level 20 to 50 (b = 20 and n = 50-20 = 30) the combined cost (250+260+270+...+540) would be 30(10*20 + 5*30 + 45) = 11850.
- For advancement of skills less than or equal to 50:
- Training benefits from Sleeping and Standing Stone bonuses, though the XP so acquired will never result in advancing more than one level.
- If you are ready to level up, but do not do so, the "Times Trained This Level" stat, accessible through the Journal, will not reset.
- Trainers that double as followers can train you for "free". They will still charge you, but you can get back the gold you spent by checking their inventory.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.2.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; the exploit is no longer possible.
- All trainers put the gold you pay them into their personal inventory. If they are also merchants, then the gold in their personal inventory is added to the gold they use to barter with. However, most merchants have a cap on their personal gold which is put into effect when you enter their stores, so if you leave the store and come back later, the gold will have disappeared. Notable exceptions to this are the merchant trainers added by the Dawnguard add-on.
- Some trainers will continue to offer the dialogue option to train even if you've passed the skill level at which they can train you. Choosing this dialogue option in this circumstance will cause them to say things such as "You already know all that I know."
- If you have an active Fortify Skill effect, the cost of training will appear to be for the increased skill. However, the trainer will only take the price for training at your actual skill level.
- If a skill has some progress toward its next level, the training progress bar will fill and then empty. However, checking the Skills menu shows the initial progress was not lost.
- If a skill is at 0% progress to its next level before you start training it, a purchased level may fail to actually increase the skill even though you paid for it and it used up one of your five training opportunities.
- You can use, for example,
advskill block 1to get your proper Block level.
- You can use, for example,
- If you load a character which has used trainers since last leveling, and then quit to the main menu and start a new game, the game does not clear your new character's training stat and if you seek to use a trainer at level 1, you will be told that you have used however many training sessions the previously loaded character had used.